Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    pantydroppaboi

homework helppppppppppppp?

Visit Ohio State University to learn about Prohibition. You will see a table of contents of topics on Prohibition. Click on and read the information titled: "Why was there Prohibition in the United States?"

Instrutions

Answer the following 15 questions with well-developed sentences. Support your answers with specific details.

After reading about the subject, define the word "Prohibition" as it pertains to the 18th amendment.

Why did the United States have a Prohibition movement and enact Prohibition?

What was the ultimate goal (purpose) of the 18th Amendment?

Speakin' Easy: Visit Vocabulary of Prohibition for clues to the following questions:

If I wanted to drink alcohol during Prohibition, where would I go?

What would I want if I asked for "the real McCoy"?

What would I be making if I was cooking "tarantula juice" and some "coffin varnish"?

If I was for Prohibition what two organizations would I want to join?

The purpose of a jury is to examine all of the evidence presented and render a verdict based on this evidence. Imagine you have been selected as a juror or legislator trying to assess the effects of Prohibition. After reviewing the six exhibits below you will decide whether Prohibition "worked" or "failed." You will then recommend whether Prohibition should continue to be enforced or repealed as an American policy.

The Evidence: Review the evidence from Ohio State University about the policy of Prohibition by visiting the links below:

Testimony of Mrs. Henry Peabody

Testimony of Fiorella LaGuardia

U.S. Consumption of Beverage Alcohol

Production of Malt Beverages in U.S. Alcohol Data in the U.S.

Federal Council of Churches Statements

Results of Prohibition Churches' Statement

After examining the resources carefully, assess each piece of evidence as you address the questions below:

According to Mrs. Peabody, what specific conditions have improved in America as a result of Prohibition proving that it "worked"?

What specific evidence does Fiorella LaGuardia offer to prove Prohibition does not work? In your answer address a minimum of three details he provides as evidence.

Does the data demonstrate that Prohibition "worked" or failed?

What does this data show about the increase or decrease of consumption and production of alcohol during the 1920s?

What are two strong arguments the Federal Council of Churches presents to support Prohibition?

What are two facts that argue that Prohibition "failed"?

Historical note: What did Amendment 21 do?

Write a one-paragraph recommendation on whether Prohibition should continue to be enforced or repealed as an American policy. Give at least three pieces of evidence to support your recommendation. Your paragraph should be no less than six sentences with no spelling errors.

Unregistered
    1. After reading about the subject, define the word "Prohibition" as it pertains to the 18th amendment.
    The amendment prohibited the manufacture, sale, transportation, importation, and exportation of intoxicating liquids for the purpose of drinking. Oddly enough, it didn't prohibit the actual drinking of alcohol.
    2. Why did the United States have a Prohibition movement and enact Prohibition?
    The belief was if you eliminate the source of these problems they would end. So they pushed for legislation outlawing alcohol. Prohibition. Most of the societal problems the Temperance Movement linked to alcoholic consumption could be separated from it. Only drunkenness couldn't be separated from alcoholic consumption. And as there was a rise in drunkenness as more people were consuming more than they would have before Prohibition.
    3. What was the ultimate goal (purpose) of the 18th Amendment?
    The 18th Amendments goal was to rid the future america of alcohol and to ratify it from the country completely.
    4. If I wanted to drink alcohol during Prohibition, where would I go?
    There were hidden saloons some underground with a dark door and a peep hole, that is where you would go. It is called a speakeasy.
    5. What would I want if I asked for "the real McCoy"?
    “The Real Thing” which is considered top quality liquor.
    6. What would I be making if I was cooking "tarantula juice" and some "coffin varnish"?
    You would be making homemade liquor and alcohol.
    7. If I was for Prohibition what two organizations would I want to join?
    If you were for Prohibition you would join the Woman’s Temperance Union & the Anti-Saloon League.
    8. According to Mrs. Peabody, what specific conditions have improved in America as a result of Prohibition proving that it "worked"?
    It partially worked due to the progress in public health and morality, as well as the economy of the nation.
    9. What specific evidence does Fiorella LaGuardia offer to prove Prohibition does not work? In your answer address a minimum of three details he provides as evidence.
    Some of the reasons Fiorello Laguardia offered to prove prohibition does not work is that even though alcohol was illegal everyone could still obtain it and people did on a regular basis, people were opening bars and pubs all over the country, and that the men that voted to make it illegal were consuming it everyday.
    10. Does the data demonstrate that Prohibition "worked" or failed?

Failed
    11. What does this data show about the increase or decrease of the production of alcohol during the 1920s?

Increase.
    12. What are two strong arguments the Federal Council of Churches presents to support Prohibition?
    The belief that in dealing with gigantic social evils like disease or crime and individual liberty must be controlled in the interest of the public welfare. As well as the belief that the liquor traffic is beyond question such an evil.
    13. What are two facts that argue that Prohibition "failed"?
    It failed to reduce the problem of alcohol abuse and it created numerous serious problems for individuals and society.
    14. What did the 21st amendment do?
    21st Amendment repealed the 18th amendment which was prohibition of liquor sales, consumption & transportation
    15. Write a one-paragraph recommendation on whether Prohibition should continue to be enforced or repealed as an American policy. Give at least three pieces of evidence to support your recommendation. Your paragraph should be no less than six sentences with no spelling errors.
    Prohibition should be repealed as an American policy because it is causing a major epidemic. There is an increase in liquor traffic which is causing there to be major violence which is leading to death. Hard working people should be allowed to have a drink if they choose to do so. It is common and easily found so if you can not completely ban it from coming into the United States it should not be illegal. I hope you take my reasoning into consideration and consider repealing this policy.an it from coming into the united states it should not be illegal.se to do so. ce which is leading to death.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information