Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    kiwiabe

Soft or Hard Leather for lounge suites?

Still not sure what type to buy. Was presented with highly discounted leather sofas especially made for a big dept store. Assistant advised it was pigmented leather from the top layer of the hide. We thought that we'd better check another up(pper) market store and found another type of pigmented leather but much softer and carrying a higher price & called "Lawson". Does that ring a bell? Is soft or hard leather better for lounge suites for durability in a sunny environment? Soft seems to be less wrinkled but could it be because of the foam?
    Not sure we have Natuzzi in NZ but is there a website we can find leather quality.
    Thx.
    Greatly appreciate opinions and thoughts ....
    Just came back from a couple of stores. I found the model and firmness I am after in 1st store but the leather was the finished type which was not what I wanted. 2nd store sold Natuzzi brands (most look really flash). Did the fingernail test and failed in the smooth natural finish (almost like suede) but OK in model I wanted (soft pigmented). This one looks much more well 'fitted' but less firm on seat (other models firmer but not the square model I am after). Shop assistant (owner) will ask Italy about getting a firmer one. They have 15 families of leather and about 150 types! She told me that thicker leather wrinkles less than thinner, a different dimension from hard and soft! And the price? about 60% more for the Italian stuff. Well, it looks like the part of the hide matters as well, any thoughts?

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Xani
    soft leather has such a nice feel.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

designer_girl_76
    Both soft and hard leather are available in varying qualities. Ask the sales staff about the different leathers available, and do a simple "fingernail test" on anything you're considering -- the fingernail test is very simple: gently scrub the tip of your fingernail on the leather; if it leaves a mark or if the leather appears as if it's been brushed in the wrong direction, ask to see the next better grade instead. There is also the bicast leather on the market, and this cannot yet be classified as "tried and true" -- there are no long-term studies yet on it's durability, only a bunch of assumptions. Good luck.