Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I buy a kawasaki 250 ninja or a 500 ninja?

I'm looking to buy my first bike, I already have my motorcycle license, and have taken the motorcycle safety class.

I am about 5'2" and weigh about 165 pounds (im muscular and pretty strong)..

I'm not sure which bike i should buy, i've read that 250's are good started bikes, but i'm worried that I will get too bored with it very quickly..

Is a 500 a good bike to start out on? will i get too bored with the 250?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your goal is to get good gas mileage, get the 250. My sister has an 08 ninja 250 and it looks pretty sweet. We'll trade bikes every once in a while when we go riding, and it is a nice ride for not weighing anything. Unfortunately, after spending a year on a 600cc sport bike and two years on a 1000cc sport bike, I feel like I'm driving my explorer when I'm on that 250 because it's so slow.

Now, if your goal is to someday ride sport bikes, don't get either because it'd be a waste of time and money. My sister got her 250 as a starter bike because bigger bikes are "intimidating." Two weeks later, she started begging to ride my bikes all the time. Honestly, when you start riding, you get the hang of it REALLY quick. I started on a 600cc because everyone told me that a 1000cc was way too big to start on. About a month in, I wanted to upgrade.

Conclusion: If you're a strong girl (I assume by the sn), you will be fine with whatever you choose. If you want to start on a 250cc and then upgrade to a 600cc+ crotch rocket, you'll find the difference in power as shocking then as you would starting on a 600 now. Of course, if this is all just for mileage reasons, or to save the environment, or to get through traffic in CA, the ninja 250 is a win win. I would never own a 500 because I think they're hideous haha. JMHO

jobus
    I bought a ninja250 as my first motorcycle almost 5 years ago. I still ride it daily. Every day, I learn more and more about riding and working on my bike. This may seem crazy, but, each day, I seem to be more and more impressed and appreciative of the performance of the little ninja.

A lot of people seem to get bored with them. A lot of people don't. Depends on your personality.

A 500 would probably be a super fun bike as well.

boom!!!
    get the 500. it is not that much heavier and it has almost twice the power

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 500 can be as good a trainer as the 250. The 250 can be plenty of bike, however. There is a bit of a movement back to small bikes right now. the gas mileage is always a plus when prices go up, as they are sure to do at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Either one will serve you. Each has its pluses and minuses. Why not remain open to both, and see which one you can get the best deal on.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a 2006 500 Ninja and loved it. Great starter bike with enough power to keep you satisfied. Very comfortable and gets great gas mileage. Unfortunately they haven't changed the looks since 1993 and has a very out dated look. If you want a new look, go for the 2008+ 250 completely redesigned. Use it for a year or so and sell it for just about how much you paid for it since they retain their value. Then you can upgrade to a ZX6R. I had a 2006 ZX6R (636) that I put 18k miles on. I now have a 2006 ZX10R that I love!! Hope that helps you!.

if u can get like an 08 09 on craigslist for like 3K then do it, its super fun, very nimble, and excellent fuel economy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information