Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I buy a Harley Fatboy or a Yamaha V Star?

I'm just wondering what I should buy? Should I be like my friends and buy a Harley for it's resale value or should I buy a Yamaha to actually ride? I want to keep this bike forever to ride, I don't care if I "fit in" or about the resale value. They actually look very similar. I believe though the Fatboy is a lot more money. I also don't really like the name," Fatboy" lol

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a choice between buying the original or the copy. Yamahas are fine bikes, but who would style their customs if HD wasn't around for them to copy ?

And if you want to keep it forever, there is absolutely no question: you can still buy any part for any HD ever made. Try buying parts for a 15 year old Yamaha...

To me it's like the difference between a Seiko and a Rolex. Objectively, the Seiko is cheaper and keeps better time, but the Rolex is still the more desirable object.

If you want to keep it forever to ride, then the answer is, "Neither".
    Since all V twins look pretty much alike, get one that will last, that means "liquid cooled".

That wife and kid who think they are "trading up" from a Honda to a HD are prime examples of the addage: "85% of all people want a Harley, but then, 85% of people don't know sh!t about motorcycles".

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Neither. Do yourself a favor and stay away from cruisers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you buying it for its looks? Then ask the people who will be looking at it -----not you in other words. Are you buying it to ride? Than ask the person whose butt will be in the saddle and who will be paying for repairs and parts. That would be you.
    If you buy a hardly for its resale value then you plan on re=selling it. probably sooner than later. And why do you have to buy so may add on parts to get the performance that Yamaha comes with? Take the money that you would have spent on the Hardly and buy the Yamaha and use the change for something else. Like a second bike.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Bart.
    Get the bike that you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was in a similar situation and I ended up with a Suzuki Boulevard C109R. It just is a heckuvalot of bike for the money.

If you are a bit more flush than me, consider Triumph's Rocket III or their new Thunderbird.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would ask yourself what do you really like. They are both fine bikes.

I currently own a Honda Shadow and I love it. I used to ride a Harley Softail and I loved it too.

The Harley had more pickup and there is something about the Harley mystique.

I bought the Shadow mainly because I got a real good deal on it. Also I live in an apartment building with a lot of older people and wanted something quiet as I go to work early in the morning and didn't want to wake the neighbors.

Make a list of pros and cons for both bikes and get the one that suits you best.

I think you will be very happy with either one.

Sounds to me like you see through the harley hype. Sure the yamaha is the better bike, but you are still paying more money for less bike in getting a cruiser. You are buying a giant projection television that fills half your living room and weighs a thousand pounds when you could buy the same size high def flat-screen for less. There are more cruisers on the road than anything else, but cruisers suck.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've rode many bikes, and have stuck with Harley. The fatboy is a good bike, just add a good exhaust if you want but add a stage 1 kit (aircleaner w/ K&N air filter, reusable, will pay for itself) for sure. I own a harley, my son and wife have Hondas, they both want to trade up to a Harley soon as possible ($$).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information