Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jounny Boy

Is a beagle a good hiking dog?

I would like to get a dog to go hiking with me but i don't really know what dog. I have read a couple articles on what dogs are good for hiking but none have mentioned beagles. I love the look of beagles and just love them in general. At most i would hike about 10-15 miles a day on a 3 day backpacking trip. I don't know what he would need and if he can carry his own food, water, etc.. I want to get one and hike with him but don't know if he will enjoy it or have enough stamina to do 15 miles a day. Thanks in advance.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beagles are way too small for that. You need a dog that is bigger. Try looking for any hunting, working, or herding dogs. A "Beagle Harrier" would work, but are usually hard to find. They look a lot like a Beagle but larger. A Harrier looks even more like a regular Beagle. All these can be googled easily. English and American Foxhounds look like them too.

panchito
    YES My cousin has a beagle and this dogs go hiking real good Companion

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beagles probably arent the best for this.
    They are designed to hunt, though- and are certainly capeable to travelling long distances- but you have to remember that for starters these dogs are small dogs- there is no way that a beagle has the strength to carry a pack as well as work up the energy to hike- and what is 10-15 miles for you is double that for a little dog- they have to make up twice as many steps.
    After that, there is the issue that these dogs are scent hounds- and that is going to be the main problem when you are working with one- dont ever let it off the lead- especially in a place so rich in smells as the wilderness. You are likely to get slowed down as these dogs cant resist following their nose.
    There are breeds out there that are great for this purpose, though- huskies, Malamutes (although these dogs will also not be allowed off leash) dalmatians, Tamaskans, etc.
    Before you do decide to get a dog, and you take it for one of these hikes, you should look into how old the dog will have to be before it can cover long distances. Dogs can develop serious (and costly) medical conditions if they are overexercised at a young age- hip and elbow displaysia, arthritis, etc. Most dogs will need to be 18-24 months old at least before you try this with them. Good luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with TJ. Its all a matter of conditioning. If you only take the dog for short walks thru out the week, then take him on a long hike on the weekends, he won't be able to manage more than 15 minutes or so and probably won't enjoy it.

You'll need to slowly build up stamina, just like you would for yourself. I don't think a fit beagle would have any problem hiking in the woods. BTW, size has no bearing on this. I have dachshunds and they love hiking and hunting. I also had a beagle mix and she could hike all day without getting tired.

I suggest that if you decide to get a scent hound (aka beagle, foxhound or some other hound breed) that when you go hiking, they must be on leash or they will take off an follow a scent. I would also suggest you get a 15 inch beagle and not the smaller 13 inch.

I don't think a 30 pd beagle would be able to carry enough food and water for 3 days. That's a lot of water and that's heavy. I think a larger dog would be able to that.

Have you thought about visiting your local shelter? I bet you'll find a great hiking companion there! Just a thought.

KellyO
    Beagles were bred to be hunt and track - they have quite a bit of energy and I think can do a hike. But, they will need to work up to 10-15 miles slowly, starting with alot of short hikes and gradually getting longer.

You would want to check with your vet on conditioning your dog. Young dogs bones aren't strong and too much exercise on hard surfaces when they are young can cause joint damage.

Also, you need to make sure the dog's pads are OK walking on trails. Some owners use dog boots to protect the dog's feet.

Because Beagles are smaller dogs, I don't think it'd be fair for him to carry large amounts of dog food or water. Big dogs can do it, but the weight and the size of your dog, I think, would be too much for him.

Almost all dogs love to be with their owners and will do anything you want them to do. However, remember that many hiking areas require you to keep your dog on a leash, so make sure he is well trained in obedience, especially coming when called. A Beagle, being bred to hunt, can see a fox or other small animal and take off at a run to chase it and can get lost.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NO BECAUSE THEY WILL PICK UP A ANIMAL TRACK AND HE WILL RUN AWAY FROM YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    depends on how far u go if its long no if its mabye an hour yeah

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you get it used to walking at a young age, then maybe. Beagles have a tendency to stray, so you need to make sure it learns to stay by your side from the very start when you walk it. They are small dogs, so that long of a distance may be too much. I wouldn't recommend having it carry it's own stuff. If you slowly got it adjusted to going longer distances, it might be okay, but definitely don't push it.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When hunting, my Beagles will RUN for 20+ miles a day. There is absolutely no problem with the breeds stamina, IF PROPERLY CONDITIONED. --- Not a lot different than you ;-) ---
    BUT,,,, the ONLY way you will get away with taking a Beagle on a hike in the woods would be ON LEAD. If you let it loose you would probably never see that dog again. Beagles are renowned for following their noses to the ends of the earth.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information