Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do some people feel that Brett Favre is one of the best QB's in history?

I get it. The guy has most yards in NFL history. Nothing to be ashamed of. But i ask this. In his 17 year career (excluding rookie season with atlanta) he averages 545 passes a season or 32 passes a game. His yds per game is only 238.60. He averages 27 td's a season and 18 interceptions a season. This is based on his entire career. And he has only 1 super bowl with the great packer team he has had for so long. I mean the packers have been a solid team for some time and for him to only have 1 ring in 17 nfl seasons is crazy.

Thoughts? Do you think Viking fans hype him up to much?
    Do not get me wrong. he was a very good qb. But i think some ppl tend to look at his passing yard stat and not realize how much he THROWS the ball
    Bam bam- Marino is one of the best. But he also did not have the supporting cast like favre did. Kind of like Barry Sanders. Great players stuck on a bad team. Favre has pretty much had a good team to work with.
    Bam Bam- I hear you. He did have a good offense. its his supporting defense that could not pull for him. Marino did his part to win games. Not all but a very large percent. Can that be said for Favre? i mean i know he did alot but did he do as well on offense as Marino?

Most everyone agrees that Marino is one of the all time greats and his stats are 253 yds a game average with 24 td's per year and 15 int's. Sounds about the same as Favre's averages. Do you still think Marino is one of the all time greats? That's what I thought.

Oh, and Marino had NO SB wins in 17 seasons with the Dolphins.

Dude, c'mon. You can't use that argument. Marino had two of the best receivers of the 80's in Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. The Dolphins problem was always the fact that they put so much emphasis on offense and Marino that they never focused on their D which, is why they always lost late in the post season(That and Marino is one of the biggest choke artists in the history of the NFL.) You can't tell me Marino never had talent when his teams would consistently make the playoffs only to lose.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like the Packers or Favre. It is legitimate to criticize him for throwing too many interceptions. And I think he is a jerk for the way he has jerked around the Packers, and later the Jets, and for a while, the Vikings. So I don't like the guy.

Having said those things, all but about ten teams in the league would love to have him as their quarterback. And that is at the age of forty. So yes, he is one of the best in history.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes but he was great but that was in the 90s!Lately he has been unable to get postseason wins!3 postseason wins in 11 years is nothing to brag about!
    The Vikings are putting to much faith in this guy to be their savior!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1 Favre IS the one best QB to play maybe even #3 AHEAD of Marino

and

#2 better supportiing cast than Marino???? Dan was throwing to a HALL OF FAMER in their prime!!!

People need to quit hating on Favre..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would most certainly argue the statement that Brett Favre is the best QB in NFL history, but it's tough to argue that he's ONE of the best.... because he definitely is.

Although I feel that he's been overrated quite a bit throughout his career, there's no denying that him, Marino, Elway, Manning, Brady, Young, and Montana (all of whom played during Favre's career, and although I'm sure I missed a few, let's not split hairs here) are all among some of the best QB talents in the history of the league. And Favre put up numbers similar to each of them, and think of how much the league has evolved since that time.

Basically Favre has consistently been one of the best QB's in the league year in and out for a 17 year stretch, earning 10 pro bowl trips, 3 all-pro awards, and a few MVP trophies. There were only 2 years in that timespan that Favre didn't finish in the top 10 for passing yards, and there was only 1 year that he didn't finish in the top 10 for passing TD's. In that span, he lead the league in passing TD's 4 times, finished 2nd 3 times, 3rd once, 4th once, and 5th once. That means that in 10 of 17 years in the league, he was among the top 5 QB's in the league. In 16 of 17 years, he was among the top 10. Although he clearly throws his fair share of INT's, his positives clearly must outweigh the negatives or else he never would have lasted this long.

Brett Favre is very good - always has been. However, he's far from infallible. No QB can be. Favre basically throws one more interception than Marino for every 300 throws. Even Marino finished in the top 10 in the league in interceptions for 11 of his 17 years, and being fair, he probably would have been in the top 10 in many of the remaining 6 if he didn't miss games in some of those years.

Do I think that Favre is better than Marino? No, I don't. Do I think he's better than Unitas? Nope. Manning? Nope. But do I think he's one of the best to play the game? Yes, I do.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pass all the BS, the truth is there is so much talent and competition in the NFL, it's hard to compare superbowl wins and individual stats.

The thing you don't mention is that Brett Farve and the Packers were amongst the scariest teams in the NFL. Almost every year Farve was on the Packers, they had a winning season. Not including the 11 playoff appearances in 15 years.

Recrords:
    07: 13-3
    06: 8-8
    05: 4-12
    04: 10-6
    03: 10-6
    02: 12-4
    01: 12-4
    00: 9-7
    99: 8-8
    98: 11-5
    97: 13-3
    96: 13-3
    95: 11-5
    94: 9-7
    93: 9-7
    92: 9-7

Me being a Lions fan, always disliked the Packers but at the same time, I was always cringing at the times the Lions and Packers played because they have always been a scary team.

A QB that can fill their opponents with fear has some effect. He may not have as many superbowl wins as Tom Brady or Roethlisberger but that doesn't mean he is not better then them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my top 10 QB's of all time

1. Joe Montana
    2. Terry Bradshaw
    3. Dan Marino
    4. Brett Favre
    5. Johnny Unitas
    6. John Elway
    7. Steve Young
    8. Bart Starr
    9. Otto Graham
    10. Peyton Manning

Vikings fans, he doesn't really wan't to be a Viking, he just want to have redemption against the Packers. He wouldn't mind playing on the Bears or Lions, but they don't need quarterbacks. He will be gone next year and honestly, the Vikes will be better of without him.

MatthewL
    Well opinions are like brown eyesand everybody has 1
    Whos the best ever?That depends on what city you live in.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a lot of those fans were so-called Packer fans 2 years ago. [Rolling Eyes]

He was a good quarterback at one point, very good. But, he is not the best in history.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information