Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it hypocritical that I'm a vegetarian and feed canned fish to stray cats?...

...(preferred if vegetarians answer? but all answers are welcome)

I don't buy them from the fish market because it makes me sick looking at the poor fishes =(

But those stray kittens look hungry... =(

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Animals are by nature carnivores. Their bodies are made to eat meat, and fish.

Humans have a choice about it.

I myself am an omnivore. I have digestive problems though. So while I can have small amounts of meat I don't always. I prefer lots of veg. I try to balance.

We had a dog. And I fed her a mix of dry food and raw meat. It was good for her. And she was really healthy. WHen I started the raw diet I have to say it grossed me out. But got used to it. And I understood it was good for her...

I moved and could not keep her. I found her a wonderful new family. I explained her diet. Including the raw. Her new owner is Vegan. Not just vegetarian but Vegan. SO it was really difficult for her at first. But she does give the dog meat. Because she was able to see the difference for the animals.
    Her treat for the dogs, (she has others besides mine) Once a week she goes to the local butcher, and gets raw bones for the dogs. While its hard for her to do so. She sees how good it is for them.

I have heard stories about humans being vegetarian or vegan, and then giving their animals a meat free diet. The animals usually end up sick, because their bodies actually need the proteins and other nutrients in meats.

So while you don't eat it. It is ok for the animals, that's the way god made them.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only if you're not buying the fish. . .

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course not. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they can't live healthily without meat. You're not eating the fish, you're just doing what's right for them. I'm vegan & feed my cat meat because I love her & want her to be happy & live as long as possible.

I could actually get fined where I live for feeding strays that come around my house, but I do it anyway. I'm working with a few people to try to start a TNR program, but unfortunately we aren't getting a lot of support from the community.

Money Lover
    no because your not eating the fish and my friend who was vegetarian by birth because he refuses to eat meat would've died if he didn't eat fish as a substitute.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that depends on why you are a vegetarian. If it's because you don't want animals to die for your sustenance, then I'd say it's a little contradictory, but I wouldn't say hypocritical. I also think it's worth it for the kitties. If you're a vegetarian for health reasons of "just because", I don't think it's a problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information