Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I replace the battery in my Yamaha AW 2816?

I have a yamaha AW 2816 recorder and it keeps giving me a low battery message. I've taken it apart trying to find the battery so I can replace it but I don't see any battery. There's some things that look like batteries that are soddered in by the power source, but I don't see anything easily replaceable. The manual just says "replace battery" if you get this message but that's kinda hard to do if you have no idea where it's at. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I have a yamaha AW 2816 recorder and it keeps giving me a low battery message. I've taken it apart trying to find the battery so I can replace it but I don't see any battery. There's some things that look like batteries that are soddered in by the power source, but I don't see anything easily replaceable. The manual just says "replace battery" if you get this message but that's kinda hard to do if you have no idea where it's at. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    UK Owners...This problem is indeed caused by a DS12887 clock chip which has a small lithium battery built into it. The battery is not rechargeable and has around a 10 year life-span. Inevitably the batteries in the chips fitted in both the 2816's and 4416's are reaching the end of their lives. The DS12887 chip is HARD SOLDERED onto the almost full sized main circuit board which itself has to come completely out to get to both sides. To get the main board out you need to get two sub-boards completely out first...It's a good three hours if you haven't done it before and pretty hairy considering the value of the hardware.The main circuit board itself is not particularly robust, the copper tracks are delicate and are easily damaged by poor quality soldering. The long term answer is to fit a 24 pin socket to take replacement chips which can be bought fairly cheaply. Fortunately in the UK Arc Electronics in Southampton will fit a chip holder and a new chip for £80 which is a significant saving on the Yamaha service centre's price to hard-solder the new chip in and of course Yamaha don't fit a socket so once the replacement is in that's likely to be the last time the board will accept a new chip.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information