Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lettuce recipes, can you cook it?

I have a ton of romain lettuce and I dont want to waste it. But I cant handle another salad! Any ideas?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cook it up with some chinese rice or saute it with some garlic.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Make lettuce wraps, or healthy burgers and use lettuce as the buns. I know you said no more salads, but this is my fave and I could eat it everyday: About 11 ounces uncooked boneless/skinless chicken strips or breasts. Chop them into bite size peices. Take a quart size ziplock bag and pour in a few tablespoons of Newman's Own creamy ceasar dressing. Pour in the chicken, close it and mix it around so all the meat is covered. Marinate in fridge overnight. Heat a baking stone(like one you buy to make pizza, I cook meat on it) in oven on 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Dump out the chicken with dressing onto stone and cook for 5-10 minutes until juices run clear. Chop up 2 cups of romaine. Add the chicken and a little more ceasar dressing. The best salad ever and it's really healthy for you. Chicken just melts in your mouth!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Make lettuce wraps, or healthy burgers and use lettuce as the buns. I know you said no more salads, but this is my fave and I could eat it everyday: About 11 ounces uncooked boneless/skinless chicken strips or breasts. Chop them into bite size peices. Take a quart size ziplock bag and pour in a few tablespoons of Newman's Own creamy ceasar dressing. Pour in the chicken, close it and mix it around so all the meat is covered. Marinate in fridge overnight. Heat a baking stone(like one you buy to make pizza, I cook meat on it) in oven on 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Dump out the chicken with dressing onto stone and cook for 5-10 minutes until juices run clear. Chop up 2 cups of romaine. Add the chicken and a little more ceasar dressing. The best salad ever and it's really healthy for you. Chicken just melts in your mouth!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ROMAINE AND BROCCOLI STIR-FRY

1 bunch Romaine
    4 slices bacon, cut up
    6 c. broccoli flowerts
    1/4 c. water
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Bacon curls (optional)

Slice Romaine into 1/2 inch wide strips. In a wok or large heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain, reserving drippings in wok; set bacon aside.
    Add broccoli to drippings in wok; stir to coat pieces. Stir in the water, sugar and salt. Cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in Romaine. Stir-fry 3 minutes. Remove from wok. Sprinkle bacon pieces on top. Garnish with bacon curls.

VEGETABLE WITH SMOKED TURKEY, ROMAINE
    AND PARMESAN SOUP

1/4 lb. slab bacon
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 parsnip or turnip, peeled and chopped
    1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
    8 Italian plum tomatoes, drained
    1 qt. chicken stock
    1 qt. water
    1/4 lb. smoked turkey breast
    1/2 c. tiny pasta pieces (i.e. orzo)
    6 leaves romaine lettuce, chopped
    1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
    Pepper to taste

1. Cook bacon; drain and chop. Reserve 2 tablespoons of fat and add next 4 ingredients. Cook over low heat with lid on for 8 minutes.
    2. Add garlic and tomatoes and bring to a boil.

3. Add stock, water, turkey and pasta and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

4. Add romaine and cook until it is completely wilted, approximately 10 minutes. Serve immediately. Sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.

Variations:

Substitute chicken or ham for the smoked turkey.

Substitute spinach for the romaine.

Leave out the tomatoes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quarter slice a head length wise and grill for 2 or three minutes each side with a little fresh fish and some garlic bread.... Mmmmm!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quarter slice a head length wise and grill for 2 or three minutes each side with a little fresh fish and some garlic bread.... Mmmmm!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lettuce Wraps

•2 cups organic vegetable broth
    •1 cup uncooked couscous
    •1 cup shredded carrot
    •1/2 cup chopped green onions
    •1/2 cup diced English cucumber
    •1/2 cup diced plum tomato
    •1/2 cup salad dressing, like Italian or greek, or asian
    •1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    •1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    •lettuce leaves
    Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool.
    Combine cooled couscous, carrot, and remaining ingredients except lettuce leaves in a large bowl; toss well to combine. Spoon about 2/3 cup couscous mixture into each lettuce leaf.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information