Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what do you think of the Suzuki Boulevard S40 for beginners?

if you don't like it, what motorcycle would you reccomend for me?
    i'm only 14 so i'm just curious about what motorcycle i could get in the future.. i'm 5'7 and 126 lbs..

Depending on where you live, you may be restricted to 250cc or smaller, once you turn 15. If that's the case I'd recommend a Yamaha VStar 250 or a Kymco Venox 250.
    I had an S40 (Savage). It was a fun bike but the 250s will get up and run on the highway just as well.

The most important thing is that you want to be able to sit on a bike and put both feet flat on the ground. For you, that might limit choices somewhat because you are what we call 'inseam challenged'. 8^) But I know people shorter than you who ride, so it's not that big of a disadvantage.

Cruiser are better in this regard because they have lower seats. They make good 'starter' bikes because they also have a lower center of gravity, so they are easier to manage. The Boulevard is a small, light bike anyway, so it would make a very good trainer.

Cruisers are also statistically safer, and I think this has more to do with riding style than the safety of the actual design. Cruisers are for a relaxed, laid-back riding style, as opposed to sport bikes which are made to push the envelope. Sport bikes handle better, but they also get in more crashes for exceeding the limits, just as 4-wheel-drive cars get stuck in the mud more often because people take them into the mud more often.

You don't want to run out and buy a shiny new bike to learn on. You're going to be hard on your first bike. You will probably abuse the clutch, and you might even drop it once or twice before you get the hang of it. You want to learn on an 'old beater', maybe 5-10 years old. After six months or a year, you can sell this bike for about what you paid for it, and by then you'll have a better idea of what you really want.

There are lots of small cruisers. All the Japanese manufacturers make a small, light cruiser, and they all have their good and bad points but they are all pretty good. You can't go wrong with any of the Japanese mfgrs. I would say 750cc is not too big to learn on, so long as you can put both feet on the ground (and though they publish seat height specs, the only way really to tell is to sit on the bike). You might also look at the Yamaha 'Star' 650, the Honda Magna and Shadow, etc.

The nicest cruisers, of course, are Harley Davidson. They're really expensive, though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information