Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    *::sLugGs*::

I need financial help to pay for school! What can I do?

I'm 23 and a college dropout. I started college in '04 and left in '07 when the economy started to go downhill. My dad did real estate and he went from having money and paying for my school to zero. I moved back home, got a full time job and paid off the debt from what my dad was originally paying for me that now went under my name and credit (school, apartment, car).

I've paid off my debt and now 2 years later here I am planning on attending FIDM in L.A. for this fall, a $24k/yr school. I applied at FAFSA and received $16k in government loans and grants. I need a ~$8k for the rest of tuition and on top of that I need at LEAST $7,200 for "housing" (an apt. I am getting instead of "student housing" with the school because it turned out to be MORE expensive). A total of ~$16k. I have tried getting a private loan at two different banks for small amounts (Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae) but I was denied. I know you need good credit or at least a cosigner. I have neither.

I am doing this by myself and it is not only hard but confusing. I'm not getting any scholarships and I seem to be stuck. Are there any other options I am missing or not realizing? Or am I just not going to be able to go to school?

My family can't help me and I completely understand but doing this on my own has become a challenge. Obviously I would have a job but the job wouldn't come close to covering all I need covered. I am prepared and willing to live on the bare minimum because I have no other option but even that it is looking like won't be possible. I just want a degree...
    I've been e-mailing my advisor back and forth. I just sent her an e-mail detailing the whole situation so I am waiting for a response (I'll call if the response takes too long). I hope they can help but I fear they won't be able to. But I have contacted them.
    Plan B is to just go back to my state school (FAR cheaper) to finish my Bachelor's in journalism (not the major I want; FIDM, my major is fashion design. Yes, very different) just to at least HAVE a degree. Just wondered if Plan A was at least possible considering my situation. ::sigh::

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered a less expensive school?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can help you $20 if you have paypal account.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to FIDM. Did you talk to a student adviser there? They can help you I'm sure.

one thinsg you dont want to do is major in something you dont want,having to get up every morning and think to your self what could have life been like if i was a fashion designer?

just find a good school that cost less for fashion design or try to workout your situation because thats the worst thing is if you hate your career.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're in a pickle

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information