My professor went over these last week, and I was just checking to get more info about them. Specifically though, I want to know how they are related. I'll tell you what I do know already.

For the paC02 from arterial blood gases, I know the normal value 35-45 mmHg. I understand if it's above that value it's considered acidotic and below alkalotic. The value comes from the dissolved C02 in the plasma only.

For C02 content of serum chemistry panel, the normal range is 23.2-27.2 mEq/L. It comes from the dissolve CO2 in plasma and the bicarbonate in the plasma.
***Make sure I'm correct on this: If the C02 content (from chem panel) goes up, then the amount of bicarbonate has increased and if decreased C02 content..then bicarbonate decrease. Is that correct and necessarily true all the time?
And for the relationship of paC02 and bicarbonate....it just depends on what is happening: eg) The amount of bicarbonate could be alkalotic to deal with an acidotic amount of paC02 to correct the pH (correction of resp acidosis or corrected metabolic alkalosis). So, basically......it just depends if the problem is in the kidneys or the lungs? And if both (bicarb and paC02) are acidotic or alkalotic, then that means that both are failing correct and not necessarily influencing each other?

Sorry that was so long and wordy. Let me know if my understanding is correct. Fix anything I might have said wrong and add anything you would like to or you think I should know/understand. Thanks in advance.
Any direct/indirect relationships that can be pointed out? I want to know if the paC02 content decreases.....does that necessarily mean my C02 content decreases ( I guess it does right since paC02 from plasma does make a component of the C02 content). I just want to check though and be sure.