Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jerry Blackman

What happened to camp rosemont and rose lake in honesdale, pa?

I was a camper there in 1956,58,&59

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blackman View Post
    I was a camper there in 1956,58,&59
    Camp Rosemont is now a camp for orthodox girls and Roselake is a camp for children with disabilities. I was a camper at rosemont from 1958-1963.

Unregistered
    I too was a camper there, in 1953 and 54. I remember Bill Heft, who then left to start Tyler Hill camp down the road. I went there too.

Sput 1007

Magician Looking back in Thankfulness

Interesting to hear Camp Rosemont existed much longer as I thought it had.
    I was a counsellor there (exchange programm student from Europe) during the summers of 1974 and 1975.
    At that time, it was a special Camp for emotional and mentally disturbed children (or whatever the political correct name is these days).
    There was also a section for the 'young adults'; they came from a governmental clinic upstate New York (Mellowbrook or something).
    The camp was run by a couple named Barbara and Dave and owned(?) by Harry Silverman, who lived in a loghouse on the premisses.
    For myself it was a wonderful time: I had just experienced a Culture shock, coming with 30 bucks to NYC from Europe (just to prevent getting arrested for vagrancy) and with no experience whatsoever, getting a chance to work at Camp Rosemont.
    Most important though, I met there, without any forewarning, the Love Of My Life.
    Most stupid thing of my life happened there also: I never asked her to marry me (sugar honey ice tea!).

Jerome

Unregistered
    I worked in the infirmary Summers 1977, 1978 & 1979. It was David and Barbara Kirsh who were the Camp Directors, they eventually bought the place from Harry. I became good friends with Judy, who ran the waterfront and eventually her boyfriend Paul. In the intervening 40 years they got married, my wife borrowed Judy's dress when we were married and I just sold my Dad's house their son.

Kenn

Unregistered
    I worked in the infirmary Summers 1977, 1978 & 1979. It was David and Barbara Kirsh who were the Camp Directors, they eventually bought the place from Harry. I became good friends with Judy, who ran the waterfront and eventually her boyfriend Paul. In the intervening 40 years they got married, my wife borrowed Judy's dress when we were married and I just sold my Dad's house to their son.

The young adult section was called Daybreak - I think of it every time I hear the Manilow song - and they came from NYS institution such as Willowbrook, Brooklyn Developmental Center etc.

Kenn

Sput 1007

One flew over....

Kenn,

so we never met, as I understand from the dates you mentioned.
    Kirsh, that was their name.
    They were really nice to me.
    I used their letter of content lately to get in an university program; mind you forty years later!!
    Do you still see them or talk to them?
    If so, say hello for me.
    Dave gave me the first compliment of my professional career, a remark, which I still remember, after all those years.

Wenn I hear the name of the movie I read the book also, One flew over the Cuckoo Nest, I remember Rosemont Camp.
    As far as people told me this movie was shot at Willowbrook, or patients from that institution played a role in it.
    This always leaves me a little sad, while we lost a patient from Willowbrook at the last camp, as far as I remember.
    An older woman, who was curious enough to start investing the surroundings of her summer vacation.
    She was found months later, drowned in a pool, as I heard.

Kenn, thank you so much for reacting.
    Say hello to your wife, Judy, if she might remember me.
    I somehow have an odd feeling of the fact that I know somebody with that name, but I am not sure.

Be seeing ya'

Jerome

Unregistered

Camp Rosemont

I went to Camp Rosemont for 3 1/2 years, so I didn't make the 5 years required to get their Green Rosemont Jacket.

Unregistered
    Really? I thought it was a regular all-girls residential camp with a new name.

Unregistered

good memories

lou katts mike tobin harry siverman andy jacobs lisa ortenberg god what a sweetheart

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information