Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jbkthenerd
    I'm not an atheist, but arguing with another person about his beliefs is wrong. Yes, I have argued with them, but in the end I apologized to them after all that. I do not want to hold guilt and make myself suffer.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What makes you think you'll "win the argument"?

ETA: Ian nailed it right on the head. You can't win.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

almightydevin
    I had one with Raptor Jesus. Sh*t was so cash.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually I welcome religious discussion all the time. If someone can convince me of their beliefs then I've been believing the wrong thing, if they don't convince me they make my own beliefs stronger.

I've discussed my belief with monks of other Buddhist sects, 2 rabbis, countless priests of various Christian denominations as well as a number of Gray Nuns, a Wiccan High Priestess and a lay leader in a Mosque. I also invite in Mormons and JW who knock on my door but only if they're willing to listen to my beliefs as well. Mormons always come in and listen, JW run away.

The discussions always go well. Some have conceded that they can not sway me on logic alone and none have tried "believe it because I said so". They've all commented that I'm well read, a good listener and open minded. Many have asked for more information about my own beliefs to understand it better. They only people that I don't enjoy having these discussions with are Pentecostals and they are the most fundamentalist group of folk I've had such discussions with.

NOTE: The "highest" up leader I've discussed religion with is a former Archbishop Metropolitan of the Anglican Church of Canada. (Metropolitan is a bishop for a LARGE area). He's a friend of my parents and a very nice man, he is also very open minded and accepts our difference of opinion.

zestizmo
    If you talk to them long enough, all their answers will just come down to, "You just have to have faith!" No leg to stand on whatsoever.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bear with me and read

I haven't but my dad did, he got into a bad wreak messed him up bad, broken ribs crushed organs all that. But he crawled to the side of the road and flagged some one down. When the preacher asked my dad don't you think you owe god something, my dad said what do you mean. Preacher says well you crawled such and such a distance to flag some one down....my dad says don't you think god had something to do with me being there in the first place. I think we are even.

Which if god causes all things is true.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Supposing you will win the argument" you say??? Only if they're an idiot. Most "holy leaders" are educated and could wipe the floor out most people when it comes to philosophy. You don't get to leadership and scholarship by being stupid.

And if you're not afraid of muslim's holy leader (though there are none - until Jesus comes back)... then go to the quran.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Arguing religion is a pointless circle. Why bother?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information