Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I suppose.

If you're going to have a discussion about science, it should remain on the intellectual level. But to be quite frank with you, I also think arguing creationists is ultimately a waste of time. Creationism is not an honest scientific position. Those who hold on to it are less interested with facts than with preserving their world view. Rational enquiry and consistency take the back-seat to a world-vision that provides emotional reassurance. It seldom has anything to do with science or knowledge at all.

I mean, I'll answer their questions as well, and I'll try to explain the science, but deep down, I know someone who is asking this is really hoping for more reassurance. They're hoping if they can stomp you, that will justify their world view. If they can't, they'll find a way to ignore whatever explanation you give them, or to invalidate it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it important to be calm, polite and rational when arguing with creationists?

When I was a kid, I remember arguing with religious adults by asking them questions that I thought would stump them or at least frustrate them, but most of the time they responded calmly and politely albeit with some gibberish about their imaginary god. I’ve noticed that now when I argue with creationists, they are the ones who ask me questions that they think will stump me or frustrate me and I’m the one responding in a calm and polite manner. Do you find this role reversal as interesting as I do?

no, people become passionate about their beliefs in arguments such as these. it's just hard to convince you because you already know everything. if yout go into the discussion with an open mind, respectful of one anothers opinions, it should be beneficial to both sides to talk about this. you never talked with me about it, I would welcome that conversation and I culd listen and respect your point of view. I would expect that we could exchange thoughts, fact and ideologies whether we agreed or not. we would then agree to disagree, and continue on greeting and chatting with each other daily. this is how it should be done, this is the way i have been taught to do it through studying Gods word.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's important to be calm, polite, and rational in any argument, religious or otherwise. Calling someone's God imaginary is definitely not a good way to express your point.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's little point being rational with creationists, their entire worldview is based on irrationality. Being calm and polite is probably more helpful to you than to them, since it means you walk away merely frustrated, rather than angry, embarrassed and frustrated.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Not particularly. This role reversal is only one of many up-side-down observances. All are in keeping with the times in which we live. I think that perhaps we should spend more time understanding the reference book and less time making up our own stories regarding our origin.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Not particularly. This role reversal is only one of many up-side-down observances. All are in keeping with the times in which we live. I think that perhaps we should spend more time understanding the reference book and less time making up our own stories regarding our origin.

[S&S]
    tell them they would go to muslin hell

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you should always be polite, but if you are naturally calm and rational, please stay away from creationists.
    think about this: if they were able to listen to a sensible argument, and to reflect upon it, they would no longer be creationists.
    so you might as well move to spain and chase windmills.

Says the poster who's name is "Liberalism is a Mind Disorder".

Nothing further needs to be said, really.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information