Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I get a lawyer after car accident?

About 3 weeks ago my mother and I were involved in a hit and run incident. A Dodge Dakota slammed into the rear of my mother's MINI Cooper going about 40 mph while at a stoplight. The unlicensed driver was driving his girlfriends vehicle which was under her mom's name. The mother lived about two hours away from where the daughter and her boyfriend and claimed that the boyfriend never had permission to use the vehicle. The daughter claimed that the boyfriend took the keys while she was asleep. State Farm determined after 2 weeks of investigation that the owner of the vehicle, the mother, was not responsible for any damages.
    Here's my problem. I talked to the daughter about an hour or 2 after the incident and explained the situation involving her vehicle. She was definitely awake and the vehicle was not reported stolen. Also I believe I asked did she know that her boyfriend was diving the vehicle and she said "yes" but I have no proof. I'm sure neighbor can give statements saying that they have seen him driving the vehicle before, because we know that this was not a joy ride (incident occurred over almost 30 miles from their residence). My mother and I sustained minor injuries. My mom had a stiff back. I received a small cut from a flying projectile on my face sort of looks like I got into a fight but its getting better. I also have a pretty sore neck and it seems to give me alot of tension which causes headaches especially when I work and it make sleeping more difficult. I do not have health insurance and I have not seen a doctor because of cost issues. However, I do not believe the injuries are serious and will go away.
    I am hesitant on seeking a lawyer because of cost issues and because our injuries were not to severe. However, State Farm has deemed it "Uninsured Motorist" incident. I still want to see a doctor but don't have the cash up front to see one. My mother's car rental allowance isn't enough to cover everyday rental costs and I'm pretty pissed about the situation. Do you think a lawyer would be appropriate to seek? I can't afford to really pay a lawyer and I guess he would have to prove that the daughter gave her boyfriend permission to use the vehicle beyond a reasonable doubt so he could go after State Farm. Our injuries are not that serious and I feel as if a lawyer will be hesitant on representing a someone with only minor injuries. What should I do?
    Sorry it so long...

Always contact an attorney after an accident and under no circumstances do you ever try to negotiate with the other insurance company or the police. You speak only with your attorney because he wants to have his payday also and will do everything he can on your behalf to earn that payday. Most good attorneys will take your case on contingency and take their cut from whatever settlement you get. An attorney may not feel that your case is worth the time and effort but most will consult with you for free, and believe me you get nothing but the shaft if you try to do it without a representative.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information