...would like to attend can't? I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, I adapted well academically and received my MSN as an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner in Anesthesia(CRNA). I worked for 15 years without any difficulties, then began to have severe depressive episodes and had to go on disability. For 10 years I saw a multitude of psychiatrists and psychologist, who treated me for anxiety and depression (also ADHD). I was hospitalized 3 times. Eventually on my 4th hospitalization I was diagnosed as bipolar and was placed on medication for bipolar. It was the first time I felt "normal" in 12 years!! I couldn't believe it.it was a miracle. Yet due to the liability, stigma associated with mental illness and the length of time I hadn't worked..I couldn't return to work. FINALLY the Nursing Boards are accepting mental illness as a treatable disease and not the fault of the individual. I am in the process of requesting permission to retake my Boards.
My 10 y/o daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in Kindergarten and an anxiety disorder in 2nd grade. She has been on medication since her diagnosis, attends weekly group behavioral modification, sees a psychologist monthly(or as necessary, sees a psychiatrist approx every 3months and her pediarican sees her every 6 months specifically for an ADHD. She has participated in all these interventions since her diagnosis at the age of 5. Dr. Luby at Washington University was conduction a research study to diagnosis bipolar in children, yet she did not meet the criteria.
I have spent the 5 years she has been in school, fighting with the School District and SSD to get an IEP for her. I initially was lied to by the School Councilor who informed me (in 5 letters) she had scheduled an evaluation etc. and she was denied/didn't qualify. Later I found SSD never even heard of her until the school applied for an IEP for ED. She was approved for this yet I fought bitterly that ED is only ONE symptom of ADHD and eventually she was approved under OHI.
I would like to participate in some of the ADHD activities and am a member of CHADD,ADDA and Bazelon Mental Health org. They have no assistance to assist me in taking Parent to Parent, assistance in sending my daughter to an ADHD camp, and can't assist in allowing me to attend educational seminars. Bazelon just announced that 78% of mentally ill people who are considered disabled are unemployed. Why not help us return to work, or at least give us a chance to participate as an advocate....being unemployed and unable to even volunteer for work. This is extremely devastating to an already fragile self esteem, and eventually you just give up. Aren't you reinforcing societies ignorance regarding MI? You separate us by financial status and the public believes that we intentionally "pretend to be sick", because we want a handout and an excuse not to work. Rather the opposite is true...I would give anything in the world to return to work and society. Is it my fault I was misdiagnosed for 12 years? In any other field of medicine that would be blatant malpractice.
I do what I do for my daughter because I NEVER want her to go through what I did, and unless she is supported on something other than disability her chances of being allowed to recover from a MI it will be a life sentence.