Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats wrong with my Betta fish? Please help!?

My male betta just started laying on his side at the top of the tank. I thought he was dead when I came in but hes alive, just breathing very slowly and lying there. If he tries to swim down he floats back up. Hes developed red and white sores on his sides near his tail fin. Hes been very healthy until the past two weeks. Ive just put him in a .5 gal tank with warmer water. Because its gotten cold all of a sudden, his normal tank went down to 72 degrees and its normally around 78. Ive been meaning to get a heater. Whats wrong with him? Please help!
    Shut up a**hole. I need answers. I usually keep him in a 2.5 gal but I put him in a smaller one for right now. Keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
    Occasionally he'll put his face down at the bottom and start twitching. Also his gills are red. Whats happening?!
    Occasionally he'll put his face down at the bottom and start twitching. Also his gills are red. Whats happening?!

If the tank was not cycled, this could be part of it. it also sounds like poisoning of some kind. if the nitrites and nitrates are out of balance, this can actually kill a fish. These read and white sores? Are they'll little specks, ich? All bettas should have heated homes, not so much for temperatures but for STEADY temperatures. A temp that goes up and down is just as lethal as cold water all the time.
    Read this link and it should help you figure out. Its hard sometimes when we can't actually see the fish. But it sounds like poisoning.
    http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=719

Start with the page linked to then go to the next one for further diagnoses.
    Good luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it may have something to do with the ammonia levels in the water. get some water purification drops at your pet store, ask a person who specializes in fish; they will most certainly know. start off by cleaning the whole tank, scrubbing with water ONLY. clean all the rocks, as this is where the poo resides (poo contains ammonia). put fresh water into the tank, and balance the pH with a pH balancer (you can also buy this at a pet store), make sure the heating is working properly, because fish can be sensitive to environment changes.

please just go to your local pet store, even if it is a chain one like PetSmart, there are people there who are very experienced with fish.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hes dying,sounds like poor water conditions by the sores if he wasnt with any other fish,but nothin you can do,they are usually old when you buy them at the petstore,sorry

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HES going to die.....thats exactly the same signs my beta gave me before he died...try placing him back in his old tank...hes probobly not used to the new one...OH and some betas dont like heaters! Theirs some fish that just wont addapt to warm temperatures....Its like taking a pinguin to las vegas!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be white spot, that's a parasite that is real nasty. If you don' thave a filter you should get a small one. There are plenty of medications out there that you should try him on. Also do a partial (25%) water change everyday for a week or so. The sudden drop in temperature might have lowered his immune system so you should get a heater right away. Hope that helps.

I hate to tell you this but that was what started happening to my Beta fish when she was dying. It was only about 10 hours before she died, but maybe you should ask a vet because mine didn't have any sores. And it depends on how old he is. Make sure you don't have any plants or needless decorations in his tank as that can cause them to get sick.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    .5 gallon tank is whats wrong, murderer.

Well He is probably getting sick or something.I don't know but if he is getting unhealthy he must be getting sick.Do you feed him?

imported_Passing Strangely
    sounds like your fish has stress disease

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information