Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    DevinS

'92 Toyota 4runner with an Auto transmission not shifting into 4th gear?

Hello and thanks in advance for your help:

I recently screwed up (that's how these things always start) by draining the transmission fluid pan while changing my oil. After noticing that it wasn't oil coming out, but tranny fluid, I let it drain and then put the screw back in. After changing the oil, I checked the owners manual and it stated that when you drain a tranny (for a 3VZ-E 4wd) to refill using up to 4.5 quarts. So, unfortunately i added 3.5 quarts, checked the levels (which lied at the time and said it was at the right level) and proceeded to drive a couple hundred miles. Every once in a while, I would check it, and it would say it was overfilled. So, I pumped some of the fluid out two seperate times. After I was having some problems with the car shifting into 4th gear, I decided to take it into Toyota and have a full transmission flush. They said that they gurantee that the tranny fluid would be at the right level.

Now that you know the background, here is the problem I'm having:

When I begin driving my car after it has been sitting for at least 2 hours, it will not shift into 4th gear until I have driven it for about three miles. When I first get onto the freeway and drive at 60 mph, it is still in 3rd gear at around 4,000 rpm. It even stays in 3rd gear if I ease off the gas, or even take my foot completely off the gas pedal. After driving at the high rpm for a while, it EVENTUALLY kicks down into 4th gear and drives completely normal for the rest of the time. Keep in mind that it usually shift from 3rd to 4th at around 3,200 rpm and around 50 mph when I'm accelerating.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    To check the fluid levels, there is both a level on the dipstick for "warm" and "cold". It read accurate on cold, but then read extremely overful after I had driven it.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't say HOW you checked the transmission fluid level. But my guess is that when you checked the transmission fluid, you had the engine turned off. Since the fluid read full or over full (when in reality, it was not), you presumed that everything was ok after you removed some fluid (when in reality, it was not). ALL auto transmissions I'm aware of require you to check the transmission fluid while warm and the engine running. The manual says to add 4.5 quarts; you added 3.5 quarts and took out some of that. So, your transmission fluid level was too low.

You drove the car 200 miles with insufficient fluid in the transmission - maybe causing damage to the clutch plates or pump.

Why didn't Toyota check the operation, I can't guess on that. They may not normally check operation at 60 mph on a local city street.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information