Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Women better at humanities and social sciences, men better at math?

For a long while I assumed this was a stereotype, but it seems to be true-- especially with me. I've always been an almost straight-A student, and have worked as a tutor in writing and humanities. Now when I took Calculus in high school, I got a D-, with tons of effort! Likewise, I got a C- in Physics, and worked way harder in it than anything else. I had to explain it specially to the colleges I applied to, and luckily they accepted me anyway.

Now I'm in my senior year of college with a solid GPA, and once again, I'm screwing up because of intro Physics. I thought it would be different, but no. My record for the tests is C, F, F, with way more studying than my other classes. The guys claim it is the easiest class by far, and they have never opened the textbook. I've been studying nonstop, reading every chapter and doing every example problem, and am still failing miserably.

I am a biology major, and many other women in my major also hate math and physics. I don't really like chemistry either, but it's okay. Does you guys think there are real differences between strengths in males and females or am I just being sexist? I know there are some girls that are great at math/physics, but generally speaking. I don't understand how my brain is not comprehending this. I am smart and a hard worker, and am usually quick to pick up concepts and apply them. It's stupid, but it's making me really depressed and I feel like a incapable moron

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, you are being sexist. More men get 'A' and 'F' than women according to research, women are more mid range. I think it is all Bull SH**. Don't listen, new subjects are always difficult, especially if you have had no prior experience.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got A's in high school and college physics, B's in calculus and trig, but only because I was bored and DIDN'T try in those classes.

So, no offense, but maybe it's just you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took a physic's class over the summer. Despite not taking physic's since the 7th grade I easily got an 97 on the first test. I never bought the book, never studied, and hardly paid attention in class (spent most of the time sleeping). I easily got by far the best grade in the class. But to be fair I was taking that class at a city college, and not at my college since it would of been far more work.

But to answer your question. Yes their is clearly differences in strength of women and men in math, science, and logic.

well, i am in high school at the moment, and it seams that boys are VERY good at maths and science. I am the opposite however, i excel at english, history and drama.
    all of my friends get maths A chemistry A physics A english B any sose B
    i am maths b-c science b-c english A and then i suck at econs, but other sose A

so i am womanly minded ^^ who cares.

there will always be exceptions but generally.

anything that has emotion factors females will excell.
    problem based (often numbers) to the point, males will strive at

this is also representitive i think of that males are straight to the point, and dont beat around the bush, down to earth if you don't mind.
    ie males are 1+1=2

females, well i dont know they probably see a window in 1+1 and will write a story about somebody who is suicidal :P (maybe a bit extreme :PP)

but you get my drift....

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It partly has to do with that more women like humanities and social sciences than men, and more men like math and science than women. People tend to do better in subjects they like. A fair number of men don't like math, but more men like math than the number of women that do.

I'm a synthetic organic chemist, and I don't like math. I can do high level math, I just don't like it. To me math is a tool that I use and it is very dry. It would be like me taking a course on the various uses and theory behind using a screwdriver.

I suggest you get a good tutor for physics and/or calculus. If you don't have a solid math background physics will be very difficult. Calculus is much easier than the algebra necessary to do it. The hardest part of answering physics questions is figuring out how to go about solving it.

@defek8: Social "sciences" aren't science, it's a discipline, like archeology.

If you're smart enough to get the grades you got i those other subjects, you're smart enough for maths and physics, you just need to be taught better.

Don't feel like an incapable moron, that's insulting to me who is an incapable moron.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honey, as a woman it isn't your fault it's someone elses.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honey, as a woman it isn't your fault it's someone elses.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Humanities OK maybe, but social SCIENCES, no, men are better at anything science related, since it requires objectivity and peer-reviewed studies, hard unbiased work, rather than feelings and emotions and projection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information