Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do energy levels from wireless Internet access cards from mobile phone carriers pose

any danger? I sometimes use a Verizon Wireless Internet access card on my laptop and the interface has the card right next to my hand...and depending on how I'm sitting...rather close to my lap.

Should I be worried about this?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, the power levels are extremely low. There has been a lot of concern over RF exposure, but it is not really backed up by scientific data. It was started by a study that used "thermal levels" on rats. Basically enough energy to heat the rat. Yes, if you put a rat in the microwave, it is not good for it The levels of the devices we use are so far below that there is no problem.

The people worrying about this are ignoring other data. Your wireless card puts out 0.1 watt. Police, fire and hams routinely use 5 watt hand held radios with no higher incidents of cancer. Technicians that work on radio sites have no higher rates either. The animals that live at those sites are not having problems either.

The same thing was done with power lines a few years back. Someone supposedly came up with statistical data indicating a higher rate of cancer for those living under power lines. They ignored the fact that due to proximity the exposure was actually higher in the typical home than it was under the power line. Their data was invalid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information