Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

smartphone support

you need better smartphone support. right now from what i'm hearing, the iphone / palm pre / newer android phones will not even work on your service. therefore there is absolutely no reason for me to want to switch to windmobile. i know specific smartphone carrier frequency support is not under your control, but all in all its still unfortunate that i will have to stick to rogers, and now bell and telus who both will be able to support the iphone in the upcoming months. meanwhile you guys seem to be stuck with the lower end crappier phones.

Unregistered

Re: smartphone support

There should be no real shortage of good phones on the network. T-Mobile USA (which uses the same frequency) has the HTC Magic and Dream, the Sidekick, several touch screen Samsungs and coming up, the Nokia N900 tablet, the BlackBerry Onyx and the Motorola Morrison. The 40 million customers of T-Mobile USA and the existing Videotron customers (who are currently using resold Rogers service, but are going to be moved onto the new Videotron network when it launches) means that there is already a base of customers for phones to be developed for.

Unregistered

Opethfan not all T-Mobile users have 3G phones. Only T-mobiles 3G phones would work on Wave but the old ones won't. For example when I went to the US i got a flex plan from T-Mobile. I put the sim in my BlackBerry Bold. and only got and EDGE connection. T-Mobiles EDGE connection is just like Rogers but it's 3G connection is just like Wave's. Yes some of the phones you listed will work on Wave's network like the HTC Magic, Dream, and Motorola Morrison. The BlackBerry you listed will be going to Rogers and ATT so that won't work. The BlackBerry that will work witch is somewhat rumored is the BlackBerry Magnum witch is supposed to be going to T-Mobile.

Unregistered

you might be right on the BlackBerry thing (I don't follow them, I think they're horrible devices), and yes, the majority of T-Mobile USA subscribers are on 2G GSM, but it doesn't change the fact that there are several AWS phone on the market right now, and many more coming, as even if not all of T-Mobile's 40 million customers are on 3G, they certainly could be in the next few years, and handset makers want to cash in on them.

PS. Wind, not Wave :P Although I wonder if that would be a better name?...

Unregistered

I understand what you are saying because yes, we do want the better phones and lots of choices. None of these crappy "quick messaging phones" that rogers offers.

However, Globalive and all of the other new entrants are on a different frequency than the standard GSM/CDMA carriers we have in Canada already.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of the new phones of this year going to be offered here, and trust me, I would kill for a GSM Palm Pre that's not on the Rogers network...

Unregistered

Lol sorry abour wind, wave... got a little confused
    Well you are right about in the future we will see more AWS phones but for the moment we do have a limited number. I am not not worried about what will be available at launch as many of the phones seem to be smart phones. The HTC Android phones, New Motorola Android phone and this New BlackBerry which was found today by CrackBerry to be T-Mobile and 3G!! You should give BlackBerry another try maybe the one you dislike was older or something. BlackBerry are becoming more and more popular. The curve took first place for the best selling cell phone. So I guess it would be good for Wind to have a BlackBerry for existing and future BlackBerry users.

There are two new phones which are coming this year and equipped with AWS one of them the BlackBerry 9700 and the new Motorola Android phone. Also If you want to see existing AWS phones just go to T-Mobile's website and check their 3G phone catalog. Their is an ok variety.

Unregistered

Exactly as above said. I will wait for a T-Mo BB 9700 and Wind =) That will make me super happy. They also have the new Curve 8520 amongst others. Frankly, anyone who has an iPhone deserves to be on Rogers pitiful network. As with all Apple products, overhyped, overrated and all aesthetics and that comes with a price.

Unregistered

The new BlackBerry 8520 would not work as it's 2G (Edge) and it's a different frequency than T-Mobile's 3G

T-Mobile 2G (EDGE) = Rogers Frequencies
    T-Mobile 3G = Wind Frequency

Unregistered

Any possibility on a Sidekick/Hiptop coming out?

Unregistered

do these new devices include the n900? please say yes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information