Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 2001 Yamaha R6 won't start, battery is charged, what could be wrong?

They don't give you too much space to explain your question in the first box, so I'll just go over everything here. I went out to start my bike this morning (cold night last night), and I couldn't get it started right away (not surprising). I eventually decided to put the battery on a charger just to make sure that wasn't the issue. The bike would turn over but it wouldn't fire. NOW, when I turn the key to the on position, the digital gauge doesn't show up until I hear a click from under the seat, then when I go to push the starter button I get one loud click and the gauge resets. After doing that for a couple minutes, all I hear is a constant clicking coming from a black box close to the battery. It goes on for about 3 minutes then it stops and nothing will happen after that. I don't know what could be wrong and this is my only form of transportation, so please help!
    ***The noise is coming from the starter relay. I can't jump the bike from another bike or car, it just gives me the same click.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Batteries have a life, and it sounds like yours has reached its end. I know that on my Goldwing, just because it's turning over doesn't mean the battery is good. The electronics needs a certain voltage from the battery in order to fire the plugs, and turning the starter motor lowers the battery below this threshold. Batteries usually last about 5 years. Check with a voltmeter. If the voltage is dropping below 10 volts when cranking, that MAY be your problem.

The Heretic Hammer
    Do you have a multimeter? test your battery. could be a bad connection. where do you live? how cold was it? i need to know all of these things

twigie
    it sounds like your battery is done for. you know anyone with a car or truck jump it quick if it starts then its the battery then its probably in the electrical

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Put he charger back on overnight. Do you have any fuel? Poor some down in the Carbs then try it. If it still doesn't fire up when the engine rolls over you may have a ignition problem. Then you need to pull out a spark plug and roll the engine over. You did not say how long it sat. And, there is always that chance some one messed with it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Battery, fuse or relay or a combination of the 3. Check fuse first, replace with same fuse rating. Check battery to see if weak or has shorted cell, charge or replace as needed. Check starter relay if bike refuses to turn over. I had an R6 ... this is a common problem with these models.

clicking means that your battery can't power the starter motor. the R6 used carburetors until 2003 - yours just isn't going to like colder weather.

Batteries advertise "cold-cranking amps," and being that bikes are generally summer vehicles, your battery probably isn't made to handle normal load in low temps.

The simple solution is to jump your bike off another bike, or a car (make sure they're both the same voltage system before doing so. If the car is higher, don't start the car).

A fuel-injected bike is less likely to have this problem.

also, if your handlebars aren't already turned all the way to the left, try turning them there, and give the bike full choke. Sometimes turning the bars pulls on the choke cable just a little bit more, and helps give you a bit more choke for cold starts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information