Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why are some assuming that the more accurate term, "climate change" (vs. GW)...

...is some kind of concession? ......of some sort of error in the term "Global Warming"?

We all know that the existence of thermal conveyors would mean that under global warming conditions, some areas are bound to COOL as the conveyors are disrupted. (Just to use one example.) So in the light of the complexity of the impact of more heat in a system, isn't "climate change" a good term? (What could possibly be wrong with it?)
    =============================

Uh, bringing up snow storms is irrelevant to my question -- but as someone who used to farm (and therefore I had to pay much attention to the weather), I'm AMAZED that someone associates snow storms with some sort of argument AGAINST global warming. After all, precipitation often is increased because of the additional atmospheric moisture brought about by warming. For example, one expects a warmer winter to lead to more snow along the Atlantic coast-- because more water from the ocean evaporates into the air! Likewise, as a farmer where the winters could get extremely cold, we always hoped for a snowy winter because that meant that the temperatures were HIGHER and thereby more protective of the winter wheat crop. (Plus, the extra snow made an excellent thermal blanket to keep the grown warmer.)

So your post illustrates something I've noticed often in the Global Warming debate: the loudest voices and biggest deniers tend to know the least about science.

Artillery NCO
    Lack of objectivity.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are both myths. They probably don't want to say the word "Warming" now that everyone is snowed in, in Washington. Hilarious.

@HAHAHA.....I don't believe it for a second though. If everything is warming up, supposedly, we wouldn't be getting record snow storms. Scientists tampered with the data...it was on the news. So, I don't see how anyone can believe it.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like climate change best b/c some parts get COOLER and some hotter, although on average, the Earth has gotten hotter. people stray away from "global warming" because they think of drought and heat, but in actuality, global warming brings two extremes, drought and floods. when the oceans warm up, it produces excess moisture in clouds and floods all in one place, and the neighboring cities/countries can be in a drought, like in India. GW doesn't sound right in winter, but in summer it is really felt, especially since in the last 5 years, we've had the highest temperatures ever recorded in earth's history, and each year a new record is broken even where I live in california.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    me thinks so

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It probably is related to not understanding the theory.

@Archie....

Me and many others still say Warming all the time, because that is what is happening. The effect of Global Warming is Climate Change, thus the interchangeable use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information