Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to replace the head gasket only on my 1993 honda civic dx, can i do this on my...

...own? Will I need special tools?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You will need a torque wrench, a set of combo wrenches- metric, and metric sockets, a floor jack, a gear puller and a detailed repair manual, plus skill and a sharp memory. It is a big and complicated job. When you get the head off, you will need to take it to a machine shop so it can be checked for cracks or warpage, and be reconditioned if necessary. You do not have the tools to do that, or you would not have asked this question.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can do it but since it's your first time try to get someone to give you a hand. And be sure to look over everything very carefully and take pictures so you don't mix or mess anything up. Also be sure to take note of how the spark plug wires go, if you mix up their order in anyway the car will run bad.

You will need a torque wrench with a 20lb-120lb range to do this right, and it's best to always replace the head bolts when doing a gasket job. A Timing Light is also a good idea but you don't necessarily need it, the timing may just be off a little when you put it all back together.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you may wont to go ask a shop how much it cost because some of the pats on there a pain in the ass to get off and you have to take off alot shit plus the main thing you need to have corract is the timeing if not this will make the car run like shit if not run at all right for tools you need a torch wrench for sure
    tape and maker to letter the wires that you have to take off and other misc parts something to hold
    misc parts a goood set of wrenchs muscle is also something you need a hammer if the head dont come out tap the block a lil to get it out other that you need to stay cool and not get mad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information