Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anthony E. M.

Im Not Saying All You Caucasians, But Why Do You People Categorically Place Cultures?

Like, for instance:

I was born in Englewood, NJ and raised in the state of New Jersey all my life. This would make me an American. However, just because my mom was born in Cuba as was her family and my dad was born in Argentina as was his family I am automatically refered to as "Spanish".

When in reality I am an American that just, so happens to be 1/2 Cuban/ 1/2 Argentine. This would also make me of Hispinic heritage. Not, Spanish because that is the language of Hispaniola the Spanish settled areas of the Americas that are now all nations.

Anyways, to make matters even worse they label me as Hispanic when I am a white. I do not comprehend as too why they do not understand that there are both white and black Hispanics. They also make stereotypical statements and I get offended and rightfully, so because I am just as American as they are.

This nation is a great melting pot of cultures and neither one of us as Americans can trace our direct lineage to the Americas. Not even, us with Native American blood because where do you think they came from. They settled in America, but human origin originated in Africa and then migrated to Asia where in turn they migrated in the Americas.

I am pretty sick in being treated as a 2nd class citizin within my own nation and its just not me as a Hispanic-American. White culture, and again Im not genralizing cause Im not saying all of white culture, but a great deal seem to have mixed as well as misconstrued feelings about ethnic cultures. Any thoughts?

zac
    I think of it this way, if you were born here, then you're American. If you move here from another country and become a citizen, then you're "insert country here"- American.
    People just like to put things in categories, but don't EVER feel second class, we're all Americans no matter the color or heritage.

J.C.
    You said you're 1/2 cuban, 1/2 argentine, that does make you hispanic, not white. White doesn't refer to skin color, it refers to caucasian background.

Choc1
    I noticed that a lot of East Coast people call many people that speak Spanish, spanish. It seems like they rarely use the term Hispanic.

taha nadhir benahmed
    i don't know

Kali M
    some people are just so ignorant. they are just stupid

Joe
    it all comes down to culture, and it just so happens that the entire western world (Europe, America, and Australia) was developed by caucasians, but over the years immigration from third world countries have overwhelmed western society with uncivilized cultural practices that are obviously undesirable. That's one side of the story, the other side is that alot of people from latin America don't want to give up their existing nationalities to become Americans. They basically want to extend their country into ours (i.e. the American southwest a.k.a. Aztlan) It's a power struggle man, and you people are winning! So just be patient and relax, it'll be your guys' country to do what you want with in no time.

Tara
    in case you havent noticed the "white people" are apparently the inferior race now. hispanics r the main game now so yeah ur american as well as the others who jumped into the country. im not racist at all my brothers and step parents r puerto rican, im just mad that this is america, a caucasian, english speaking country and not all, but most other races act predjudice to white americans and that what im sick of. its actually a necessity for jobs and school now to learn spanish which is ridiculous. so believe me, ur not the 2nd citizen, whites r

usa.jim_88
    Whites do it too whites too....Im a mutt and grew up in an italian neighborhood and was treated like a dog because my last name didn't end in O,E,I,or A

liv
    first of all there is no race called "white". and you have to ask yourself what race is. it is not always the country you are born in. it is actually pretty hard to define, so i guess its really just whatever you consider yourself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information