Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As an honors math teacher I would not recommend it unless you are exceptionally gifted in math.
    You are preparing for calculus and a summer course will usually have to omit and rush through topics. To distinguish yourself from your peers (I understand that motivation) do something unique or independent.
    I teach in a wealthy school district , the first year the system decided to double-jump students, so that they would take AP Calc as juniors, there were 75 kids in the double-jump sixth grade class. Six years later I wondered how many students made it to Advanced Calc: there were 6, out of 75. Although it is still done because of parental pressure, experience shows that it just doesn't work for most students. I have had C students who got into Harvard or Yale because they played the French horn or were fluent in a strange language.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go for it!

Pre-Cal is not hard. It is a mash of some new materials mixed in with materials learned from Intermediate Algebra and some middle school Geometry. I was never good at math but when I took it at a college it was an easy A and that was 4 months so if I can do it then I'm sure anyone else can. (I study history at the university)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I take pre-calculus over the summer?

If I took it during a normal semester, the course would be about 6 months long.

However, since summer's only 3 months long, that would mean I have to learn the material twice as fast compared to taking it during a normal semester.

I have asked several people at school and some have said go for it, while others didn't recommend that I do so.

The main reason that some people say I shouldn't take it over the summer is because it's one of the most difficult math courses.

However, I want to be ahead of my peers.

What should I do?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information