Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Atif R

Can Photography be considered Art ?

Is capturing an image an art form?

I personally don't believe it is because its capturing an image with a click of a button , whereas a painting is creating an image from a blank canvas.

Id like to hear your views on it. And lets see if anyone can change my mind.

constance the third
    I'm a painter and I used to feel the same way. when my art school classmates would submit photos that took a split second to produce i used to feel it was incomparable to a painting that would take me weeks.
    however, that was before i actually tried taking some quality photos.

when my work became more mixed-media and photo-based i realized how little i knew about the medium. i simply couldn't achieve in a photograph what skilled photographers could. i ended up taking a class so i could catch up.
    maybe you're a natural photographer- that's why it seems so easy! it's like me with painting, i think it's the easiest thing in the world.
    and don't forget - the medium tends to be the message. sometimes a subject is simply not conducive to painting, sculpture, drawing... it can only only be expressed in a photo.
    i hope that wasn't too boring. i was trying to change your mind

psycho bob
    Sure it can. Have a look at the works of David Bailey, David Hockney and Patrick Lichfield. Unlike painting (where you can leave things out of what ur painting if u don't like them) with photography you have to make the best of what's in front of the lens. Yes, I know u can adjust images with editing software

John B
    Uh, yeah! Of course it can! Throwing away trash could be considered art if you did it in a graceful or purposeful way. Look at the works of Diane Arbus, Cindy Sherman, Robert Adams, Barbara Kruger, Herb Ritts, Ansel Adams, etc. They use the camera to capture reality as they see it or to create a new reality (often in Sherman's case).

The difference is between fine art photography and regular pictures is not in the method of creation, since anyone can pick up a pencil and draw or take a picture, but that doesn't make you an artist. It's your intent, your vision and your understanding of composition to create something unique. Of course Photography can be considered art just as much as just about anything, the question is if you like the artwork that is produced and whether you feel it has value.

Ooowiee
    Yeh but these days who can define art?

would you say and installment is art? but apparently it is.

there is different techniques to it you just dont click. you need to conside the colours, compsition etc. same as you would a painting.

Demi B
    Debatable.

Theres a lot more to photography than clicking a button, trust me.

I think man ray's work boarders the photography and art debate!

Take a look

x

chippie_minton
    Of course, most people can take a photo, not many can take a good photo though.

http://www.artofthephotograph.com/photo_1089671.html

chippie_minton
    Of course, most people can take a photo, not many can take a good photo though.

http://www.artofthephotograph.com/photo_1089671.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information