Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    arunmadav2013

Can a civilization put their own ethics aside if its the only guarantee of victory...

...against an unethical foe? Is it better to do ONE unethical thing in order to have victory,and let morality prosper for a long time,or is it better to die heroically without breaking any of your values,and letting immorality succeed for a long time?

This is for a school essay,I already know what I'm putting down,I just need to see how everyone else expresses their thoughts on the matter,and express mine more effectively.

quizzard123
    To disavow a civilization's own ethics is to disavow the very basis of their existance. The ultimate goal of victory is not enough to overide fundamental ethical standards.

For instance, for a civilization to allow torture or illegal seizure of persons without trial, would be unethical, immoral and would damage the civilzation both iside and as seen from without. The temporary benefit of victory is not sufficient to overcome that loss.

My thoughts....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information