Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Sam

walking/hiking footwear .. help! ?

in a few weeks im going to do a DofE expedition with the school.
    we are walking approx. 20miles and i was wondering - will i need to buy walking boots?!
    whats the best type to get? will they need to be waterproof?
    ive never done anything like this before, so i have NO idea what to expect, what i need etc.
    any help much appreciated

Schnurrbart, P.I.
    The best footwear for hiking and backpacking while carrying loads under 40 lbs are a new pair of lightweight running, cross training, trail running, or outdoor shoes. I'm not sure what brands are available in the UK, but in the US New Balance, Salomon, and Merrell are top brands. Along with these light trail shoes one ought to wear a simple thin nylon or polyester sock, which we call a "dress" sock, which is relatively inexpensive. The advantages of a lightweight shoe are obviously less effort in walking, more nimble feet, overall foot comfort, and especially in the prevention of blisters.

A waterproof or Gore-Tex lined shoe is only suitable for Arctic/snow/freezing temperatures where hypothermia or frostbite is a possibility. For temperate hiking the light hiking shoe allows one's sweat to evaporate out of the shoe and were the shoe to get wet, one's own body heat would suffice to keep one's feet warm and dry the shoe, and even when wet a light hiking shoe doesn't weigh much more than it does dry.

I've hiked and backpacked in the Sierra for years in light hiking shoes, and in the last few years my wife and kids do so as well, so I know it works. Not having to take your shoes off to cross a stream, nor carry an extra pair of camp shoes, nor ever to have to worry about blisters... there's just no downside!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information