Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ericanator

Do you people who believe the historical Jesus never existed, want your alternative...

...history...? taught in schools? I am not dealing with the specifics of what the Bible says, but what historians say. The smartest and most straight-up Atheist historians will tell you Jesus existed. If so, does this mean creationism should be allowed to be taught in schools. The Christ-myth hypothesis and creationism aren't supported by any evidence in the eyes of the intellectual community, so what more do you have than creationists.
    To the guy with all the weird symbols: I am just comparing two because neither are supported by the intellectual community, so how can either be taught in schools. Ask any historian, even if they are an Atheist, if Jesus existed, He or she will tell you what's what.
    Jesus isn't taught in just theology classes. If you are taught about Roman history in history class, Jesus would most likely be mentioned due to the fact he was such an important historical figure that came from that time.
    I have taken world history courses that say he was real and I am looking at five history text books that say he was.
    I know there are not contemporary records, it wouldn't make sense if there were, but records a few decades after his death. Give me one respected historian who doesn't think he exists.
    This should have gone under history, this really isn't a religious question.

Numb Nuts
    220 yrs ago our forefathers signed the declaration of Independence...in the front of the supreme court house in washington in the center is moses holding the 10 commandments..inside carved in wood are also the ten commandments...86% of americans are christian...so how is it that the supreme court can side with the aclu and atheists and keep God out of public buildings and school and now are trying to remove in god we trust on the money...since when did 14% rule over 86%..is the supreme court that scared of the measly 14%..if there was actual proof of God/Jesus then what would be the purpose of believing and having faith

Pine B
    I don't think a lot of the people understand what you are saying. To the ones who don't understand: There IS historical records of Jesus walking the earth, but they just note that he was a prophet or "good man", not a savior as Christians believe.

1 Peter 1:25
    Court Rules Atheism is a Religion
    Will state now have to reject evolution because it's atheist?
    A federal court of appeals has ruled in favor of an inmate who claimed that Wisconsin prison officials violated his rights under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment because they refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.
    The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that prison officials erred because they “did not treat atheism as a ‘religion.’” The court said, “Atheism is [the inmate’s] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being.”

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, described the court’s ruling as “a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence.”
    “Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion,” stated Fahling.
    The Supreme Court has said that a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the Court described “secular humanism” as a religion.

So, if Atheism can be taught under the guise of Evolution and secular humanism, why not Intelligent Design, Creation?

Panglosswasright
    I don't remember the life of Jesus ever being taught in any school I ever attended except for the Catholic school.

I don't want the Christ-myth hypothesis taught either.

As for creationism, I don't mind it being taught in a religion or mythology class. I do believe though that if they teach one creationism myth, they must cover them all.
    I'm not sure how they will fit that all into the normal school year.
    And I wonder how the fundamentalist Christians who are fighting for creationism to be taught in schools will feel about the Hindu, Muslim and Scientologist versions being taught as well.

numbnuts222
    I think he probably did exist, but considering the New Testament wasn't written till decades after Christ was on the cross it is probable that quite a bit of mythology made it into the stories of his life.

scribblo
    "The smartest and most straight-up Atheist historians will tell you Jesus existed."

Please cite your source for that.

Citizen of the Cosmos
    The topic probably shouldn't be addressed at all, except to talk about what people believed.

Jennifer S
    I think that if they teach one type of religion in schools, they should teach them all, or they shouldn't teach any. Anything that has to do with a belief should be considered religion, such as the THEORY of evolution.

Black Jack
    What class would that information be relevant to? Only theology, and that probably wont be taught untill college level, so it would be optional anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information