Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'd like to know whether your car has steel rims with hubcaps, or alloy wheels. The former are susceptible to dents and warping. Alloys typically get chipped from impacts with curbs, although this kind of damage can sometimes be repaired. I think your friend gave you good advice about getting a second opinion. Try an independent repair shop, preferably one that has a good reputation.

Now, I am assuming that your car is the Legacy L sedan, since you did not specify which of the 5 trim levels available for that year you have. If that's what you have, the stock wheels are 6" with a 50mm offset and a 5-100 bolt pattern. You take a 205/60-R15 tire. Those are the numbers you'll need when shopping for rims for your car. If you decide to go the junkyard route, that's what you'd need to tell them about the wheels.

A quick look at your car over at Tire Rack does not indicate that there are any inexpensive 15" steel rims with hubcaps available there for your car, but they have aftermarket alloy wheels - which can look pretty nice - starting at $69 each. That may or may not be cheaper than what your dealership would charge for factory wheels, assuming they're available. You could also move up to a 16 or 17, although a 17 on your car might look a little "rice-y."

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=15&filterFinish=All&filterB rand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&autoMak e=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+L+Sedan&autoYear=2000&au toModClar=&sort=Brand

For the Legacy GT Limited, which has 16" wheels stock, there is one steel rim available there, at $49, but it's sold out for the season. People buy them for winter tires. Their 16" alloy rims start at $86 each (for what they have in stock). The bolt pattern and offset are the same as the 15s.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=16&filterFinish=All&filterB rand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&autoMak e=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+GT+Limited&autoYear=2000 &autoModClar=&sort=Brand

I have had very good experiences with this merchant. If you buy tires from them at the same time as the wheels, they'll mount and spin balance them for you before they ship - which can save you a lot of money.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone please tell me all that I need to know about car rims?

I just had my 2000 subaru legacy fixed at the dealership and they are telling me that I need new rims. 2 are really bad and 2 are kind of bad according to them. What exactly are rims? Have you ever had to have them replaced on your car? Have you ever bought car parts online? Any recommendations on where I can find some cheap ones? The dealer did mention after market or even going to a junk yard. What are after market car parts? All advice is needed. One last thing, a coworker told me to get a 2nd opinion because she is surprised that a 2000 subaru would need new rims is she right?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it is that simple. I haven't personally ruined wheels, but I have seen some pretty bad things happen to them. if you do a lot of driving on a bumpy road, you can actually hit bumps hard enough to dent them, where the tire is supposed to seal, or if you live in an area where they salt the roads, the salt can make the wheels rust faster.

as for having them replaced, I have gotten new rims=wheels for nearly all of my vehicles. Where I am, there is a tire company called Les Schwab, who I buy all my wheels & tires from. I don't know if they are in your area, but if they aren't, there's probably another company much like them. Considering your dealer suggested buying aftermarket, which brings him no profit, I think he is probably on the level. aftermarket simply means anywhere other than a dealer. (shucks, autozone, sears tire center, Les Schwab, Tire Factory, etc) I would go into one of your local tire centers (if you have one you regularly do business with, go to them.) Tell them your dealer said they were concerned about your wheels, and you would like their opinion. If they really are bad, and you have plain wheels with hubcaps on them, you will be able to replace them with similar wheels. If you have "Mag" or alloy wheels that look fancy without hubcaps, you may be able to get replacement wheels to match, or you may choose to get fancier wheels anyway. plain steel wheels are pretty cheap, and I would estimate fancy wheels would start at around $100 each and go up from there.

If you look at you wheels, and they look really rusty, or if there are lots of dents and rough spots where the tire seals against the wheel, that is what the dealer is concerned about.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    your coworker is wrong the rims are ten years old, rims can have rust around the bead and the tire won't seal properly and the air will leak, they can be damaged or bent from pot holes or driving into curbs and can't be balanced if they can't be balanced then your tires will wear out more quickly.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it is that simple. I haven't personally ruined wheels, but I have seen some pretty bad things happen to them. if you do a lot of driving on a bumpy road, you can actually hit bumps hard enough to dent them, where the tire is supposed to seal, or if you live in an area where they salt the roads, the salt can make the wheels rust faster.

as for having them replaced, I have gotten new rims=wheels for nearly all of my vehicles. Where I am, there is a tire company called Les Schwab, who I buy all my wheels & tires from. I don't know if they are in your area, but if they aren't, there's probably another company much like them. Considering your dealer suggested buying aftermarket, which brings him no profit, I think he is probably on the level. aftermarket simply means anywhere other than a dealer. (shucks, autozone, sears tire center, Les Schwab, Tire Factory, etc) I would go into one of your local tire centers (if you have one you regularly do business with, go to them.) Tell them your dealer said they were concerned about your wheels, and you would like their opinion. If they really are bad, and you have plain wheels with hubcaps on them, you will be able to replace them with similar wheels. If you have "Mag" or alloy wheels that look fancy without hubcaps, you may be able to get replacement wheels to match, or you may choose to get fancier wheels anyway. plain steel wheels are pretty cheap, and I would estimate fancy wheels would start at around $100 each and go up from there.

If you look at you wheels, and they look really rusty, or if there are lots of dents and rough spots where the tire seals against the wheel, that is what the dealer is concerned about.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to know whether your car has steel rims with hubcaps, or alloy wheels. The former are susceptible to dents and warping. Alloys typically get chipped from impacts with curbs, although this kind of damage can sometimes be repaired. I think your friend gave you good advice about getting a second opinion. Try an independent repair shop, preferably one that has a good reputation.

Now, I am assuming that your car is the Legacy L sedan, since you did not specify which of the 5 trim levels available for that year you have. If that's what you have, the stock wheels are 6" with a 50mm offset and a 5-100 bolt pattern. You take a 205/60-R15 tire. Those are the numbers you'll need when shopping for rims for your car. If you decide to go the junkyard route, that's what you'd need to tell them about the wheels.

A quick look at your car over at Tire Rack does not indicate that there are any inexpensive 15" steel rims with hubcaps available there for your car, but they have aftermarket alloy wheels - which can look pretty nice - starting at $69 each. That may or may not be cheaper than what your dealership would charge for factory wheels, assuming they're available. You could also move up to a 16 or 17, although a 17 on your car might look a little "rice-y."

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=15&filterFinish=All&filterB rand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&autoMak e=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+L+Sedan&autoYear=2000&au toModClar=&sort=Brand

For the Legacy GT Limited, which has 16" wheels stock, there is one steel rim available there, at $49, but it's sold out for the season. People buy them for winter tires. Their 16" alloy rims start at $86 each (for what they have in stock). The bolt pattern and offset are the same as the 15s.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=16&filterFinish=All&filterB rand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&autoMak e=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+GT+Limited&autoYear=2000 &autoModClar=&sort=Brand

I have had very good experiences with this merchant. If you buy tires from them at the same time as the wheels, they'll mount and spin balance them for you before they ship - which can save you a lot of money.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wheels aka rims do not wear out. Unless your car has been in an accident and the wheels are damaged, they do not need to be replaced. More likely, they said your TIRES need to be replaced. Tires should be replaced every 6 years.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    your coworker is wrong the rims are ten years old, rims can have rust around the bead and the tire won't seal properly and the air will leak, they can be damaged or bent from pot holes or driving into curbs and can't be balanced if they can't be balanced then your tires will wear out more quickly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information