Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cro99999

Wouldn't Abraham Lincoln, a Republican, be proud of his work and progress

USA has made towards anti racism ? On January 1, 1863, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation that declared forever free those slaves within the Confederacy.

The spirit that guided him was clearly that of his Second Inaugural Address, now inscribed on one wall of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D. C.: "With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds.... "

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/al16.html

Does this sound like the Republican Party of today? Sounds like the Democrat Party to me. It was the big southern plantation owners that were Democrats back then. When did the platforms switch? Obama 08

not Prince Hamlet
    Lincoln was actually quite racist by today's standards, but any good historian will hesitate before judging an historical figure by modern guidelines like that.

Jessie
    Nowadays, Lincoln would have to be a Democrat! He would fail the entrance exam to be a Republican! He would be Embarrassed to be affiliated with Republicans!

Grasshopper
    We have improved on the issue of race by leaps and bounds. Having grown up in the 60's and seeing the division caused by race relations, it is refreshing to see a black person advance to the level of that Obama has. My personal opinion is that we leave racial bigotry as far in the past as we can leave it! With malice towards none says it all!

IMO
    This sounds like the Republican party to me.

"malice toward none" "firmness in the right" "god gives us to the right"

These are Republican values and you can't pretend they aren't. Democrats don't want equality. They want special treatment.

Lincoln would still be a Republican folks.

Slow Poke
    NO Way

Look at his transcripts of The Lincoln Douglas Debates out of Charleston Illinois.

Go ahead I dare you to "Google" it.

Warren T
    The Conservatives Republicans still believe in making your own fortune as Honest Abe did. However, The Democrats have spent much more PR and money convincing how the oppressed still need them when the Democrats actually oppress their own supporters by making them dependent on the whims of their party. Tell me. How many of the poor were actually helped by the democrats into the middle class even with the "assistance"? The conservative Republicans believe in "rugged individualism" and didn't play ball with the "gravy train" and were denounced as "racists."

Angela Q
    Lincoln in no way thought that blacks should be equal. He just thought they should be left alone.

mavriksfan11
    Doubt it, considering all the smears McCain is making about Obama being foreign, a terrorist, a Muslim, an anti-American, and an Arab, I think he'd be rolling in his grave, if he saw how the Neo-Nazis invaded the GOP. Being a muslim in the South, I feel like I can't ever have a career in politics because my opponents will just denounce me as a terrorist. Conservative bigots make me sick.

the demoiselle
    they switched the meaning of republican some time after lincoln was president. republican of that era translates (roughly) to democrat today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information