Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Christians, how do you reconcile worshiping Jesus with the First Commandment?

I have been wondering for a while now, and so far all the Christians I've asked have given very poorly thought out answers. Most of them don't seem to have thought about the matter at all, and those few who do think about it when I ask usually just respond with "Jesus is God".

The thing is, though, that Christians believe in a trinity God, and it's pretty clear in the Bible that in the First Commandment, "God the Father" is saying specifically "thou shalt have no other gods before ME". Well, even Jesus seems to think that's the way things should work. While he does seem to believe he has the authority to clarify what was intended, I can't recall a single instance in the Bible where Jesus actually said "no, Dad's wrong about this, so you should listen to me instead of him", and the incident in the Garden of Gethsemane demonstrates pretty effectively that he seems to think his own will is subordinate to that of his Father.

So, you have an edict from God the Father saying you are to have no other God before Him, but then you worship Jesus. Who's image do you put in your churches? In whose rememberance are you supposed to take Communion? In whose name do you pray?

How do you reconcile all these acts which put Jesus in the position of prime importance with a direct command from God that would seem to forbid doing so?
    Yes, all right, yes, but in episode AG04...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They're the same when they want to be the same and different when they want to be different. What part of "a wizard did it" do you not understand?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They're the same when they want to be the same and different when they want to be different. What part of "a wizard did it" do you not understand?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You refer to the Ten Commandments. There were other commandments before that.

Mat 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
    Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
    Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Besides this;

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
    2Co 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

Did you ever look at the translations? The Elohiym name (god, gods) and the Yahweh name (GOD).

A lot of people never notice this.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i love to see thinkers. you know when they say they are one spirit that means that all 3 of them, the father, the son, and the holy spirit are one. so if you worship Jesus you are worshiping God and the holy spirit. So the, "you shall have no other god be for God," is covered. But,here is something i found: in the old testament. Does God break his own rules? there is a commandment that says, Thou Shall not kill. Yet God does killing and he promotes it. Some of the children God was leading came to him and said we do not want to be afraid, we do not want to kill, and we want to leave and go away. the ground opened up and all of their numbers were destroyed. But Jesus said even if you are angry with a man you have committed sin. If god can break his laws can he be called peaceful and caring. I have spoken to religious and they say god has the right to kill or break his laws. i say then how can he be call the father of Jesus, who only did peace and care and consideration. He never had to kill and he spoke against it. But if God Jesus, and the holy spirit are one and the law of having no god before him is cover then Jesus kills also. so you my friend are headed in the right direction. I believe God is a parent like a mother or father of children. i would have said, okay you can leave but let me help you and give you thing because no one likes you but i love you. God never said he loved anyone. if you find that God said he love us weak, helpless, and defenseless humans please tell me where you found it. i did not say he spoke through anyone or inspired some one, show me where God said he love in the old testament. i say they are separate, Jesus and God, because God kills and Jesus does not. So you my friend have found that there are falsehoods in the Bible. I believe there is a spirit over all life and it is only about peace and care and tenderness. And i believe it has decided not to have God, Jesus, and their holy spirit as God anymore.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i love to see thinkers. you know when they say they are one spirit that means that all 3 of them, the father, the son, and the holy spirit are one. so if you worship Jesus you are worshiping God and the holy spirit. So the, "you shall have no other god be for God," is covered. But,here is something i found: in the old testament. Does God break his own rules? there is a commandment that says, Thou Shall not kill. Yet God does killing and he promotes it. Some of the children God was leading came to him and said we do not want to be afraid, we do not want to kill, and we want to leave and go away. the ground opened up and all of their numbers were destroyed. But Jesus said even if you are angry with a man you have committed sin. If god can break his laws can he be called peaceful and caring. I have spoken to religious and they say god has the right to kill or break his laws. i say then how can he be call the father of Jesus, who only did peace and care and consideration. He never had to kill and he spoke against it. But if God Jesus, and the holy spirit are one and the law of having no god before him is cover then Jesus kills also. so you my friend are headed in the right direction. I believe God is a parent like a mother or father of children. i would have said, okay you can leave but let me help you and give you thing because no one likes you but i love you. God never said he loved anyone. if you find that God said he love us weak, helpless, and defenseless humans please tell me where you found it. i did not say he spoke through anyone or inspired some one, show me where God said he love in the old testament. i say they are separate, Jesus and God, because God kills and Jesus does not. So you my friend have found that there are falsehoods in the Bible. I believe there is a spirit over all life and it is only about peace and care and tenderness. And i believe it has decided not to have God, Jesus, and their holy spirit as God anymore.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, two things. Jesus was God in human form. He and God are one in the same. (He says this, though I don't have the specific book and chapter it is in the gospels). So therefore, in worshiping Jesus we are worshiping God. And secondly, when Jesus came the Old Law was abolished and a New Covanent was bought in his blood. So actually al the Old Law (Ten Commandments included) is not what Christians follow today.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information