Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

having trouble finding out what kind of tranny i have in my car? help please i...

...have the VIN number? alright i have a 1975 monte carlo its got a 350 in it. ... im looking for a used tranny for it.... VIN number is 1H57H5K411577
    every-time i call someone seems every person asks me different questions.... like short shaft or long shaft...
    A.T., TH350, multifit case
    A.T., TH350, w/o multifit case
    A.T., TH400
    M.T., (3 spd) ....... and im not sure what that is all about..... AT means automatic i think. TH350 or TH400 i assume is motor size... but i have not clue what the mutlifit case thing is..... if ANYONE i mean ANYONE could help clear this up for me... it would be HUGE help .... thanks in advance

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i looked up your vin number and it isn't going to help you any other that it has the 350 with 145hp. that's it. I would go with the gray beard advice

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh! E-bay motors.

The output shaft at the rear of the transmission is either short (usually for cars and short bed trucks, or long (for long bed trucks). Measure the output shaft housing on your transmission from the gasket surface to the end of the housing. It will be either 4", 6" or 12".

The TH350 is TurboHydromatic 350. TH400 as you can guess is the TurboHydromatic 400 and is generally found in trucks. These are both 3-speed automatics.

MT is manual transmission (three-speed).

If you have a mechanical cable (like a throttle cable, not electrical) running from the carburetor to the transmission, you most likely have the TH350. The TH400 had an electrical cable (for kickdown control into "passing gear").

You can use a multi-fit transmission. There are two bolt patters used to connect the transmission to the engine. Look at the top of the bell housing on the transmission. If you have a "valley" between the top two bolt holes, you have a Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Pontiac transmission. If you have a "peak", you have the Chevy bell housing. You probably have the Chevy bell housing (since the Monte Carlo is a Chevy product).

I would pull the transmission out to get all the numbers off it. Then you'll be sure to get the correct replacement.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THXXX is the transmission. TH = Turbo Hydramatic XXX = torque it can handle. TH350 - sports cars and light trucks TH400 - big trucks.

TH350 has a lower torque rating than a TH400. You probably have a TH350. Short shaft is 6", long shaft is 9" it's how long the output shaft on the back of the tranny is. Best thing to do is just take it to some gray beard mechanic that was around in the days of the TH350 and ask him to rebuild it. It's a very simple tranny and it is VERY VERY cheap to rebuild.

I hope this helps.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A.T means automatic., M.T ..... manual 3 speed ., what model of monte carlo you have?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information