Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    eman6628

w580i Ringtones and DRM

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, it is a general term applies to controling the copying of digital contents like music and video, but DRM in what this thread refers to is just a program (Download from the SE developer site) to prepare the MP3 into a 'DRMable' format to let the phone to complete the DRM process before it can be used as a ringtone.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

w580i Ringtones and DRM

So, I downloaded the software from the support site (didn't come with my phone), but it still won't recognize my phone. I know it's not my USB driver because I can connect for file transfer. It also makes the device disconnect sound when I unplug it from phone mode.

Any thoughts?

Invasion1977

w580i Ringtones and DRM

Hey Guys

I just got the W580i and its branded in Canada with Rogers.....

I was reading up on the DRM and this thread was the best one i had found so far, i DL'ed the DRM packager from the SE developers site but not sure the config settings before i transfure it to the phone.

can anymore help me out?

I just want to use my own music as ringtones and not have to pay Rogers MORE money for theirs.

thanks
    Dave

potogold

w580i Ringtones and DRM

asd

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

w580i Ringtones and DRM

Hey Stacy,
    For me (AT&T Wireless customer), the easiest way to get a song on my phone was to create a shorter clip of a song. If you have the same service as me, I would suggest this. You can download the original manufacturer firmware and install, but this voids your contract, and I wouldn't suggest it for a non-technological type
    So, download Audacity (unless you have music editing software on your computer already), just google "download audacity", open your song (File > Open), create a 30-second clip (select 30 seconds of the song, then use file > export as mp3), and copy over to your Ringtones folder. That way you can use it as a general ringtone, or specific to someone in your contacts. then you can use as ringtone, and it should be ok.

>Mike

asteroid1710

w580i Ringtones and DRM

Hi, I got the DRM packager thing and I converted the song but whenever I transfer it to the phone, it automatically sends it to the other section of music.

If this configuration for the DRM correct:
    DRM method: forward-lock
    and the output folders are checked.

and then press create DRM content.

when i check my folder for the conversion I see this icon thats like a box with a lock. Is that correct?

When i try dumping that icon in the file manager it sends the file to the phone but putis it in the other section. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

eman6628

w580i Ringtones and DRM

humm... I am using XP and my PC suite version is 2.0.58 and it is working fine with my w580i. What happens when you uninstall the software and connect the USB cable to your computer in phone mode? Does Vista/XP dectects the phone, if so what does windows identify the phone as? Maybe you had installed some generic windows phone driver or something when you were doing the file transfer before installing the PC suite. If you have access to another computer I would install the PC suite on that "untouched" computer to makesure your phone will be recognized first.

eman6628

w580i Ringtones and DRM

You can select the output directory for the DRM packager to write to when creating a DRMed file from your MP3. Once that file is created then you need to connect your phone using the USB cable and select phone mode when prompted on the phone. Once connected, you click on the the phone icon on the task tray to select "File manager". When File manager comes up, you should see an folder that look like the phone, double click to go into it and you should see 2 normal looking folders. At this point drag your DRMed file into the window that contain the 2 normal looking folders, but makesure not into either of the 2 folder, just the open space within that window. Once the transfer is completed the phone will promot you what you like to use the MP3 for, then you can select to use as ringtone.

Skoot22

w580i Ringtones and DRM

Well i got my phone the other day and i still can't figure it out with all of the help you guys have already provided. I have tried both ways. I downloaded the DRM thing and tried the audacity thing.

Audacity

ok for some reason i cant export the 30 sec clip to an MP3. I downloaded some other LAME thing, which it said i needed and it still wont do it. I lost.

DRM

OK i can get the song DRM'ed and it comes up with the lock box file. All that part seems ok. I am haveing the same problem as above as in my PC will not let me see the ericsson tray down in the task bar. I cant find it anywhere, even when i explore for it. It does come up if i do File Treansfer though. I have windows XP and no other computer to try this on. Please help. What am i missing. Thanks in Advance for any help.

PS if someone would like my Cell # i will be more than happy to PM it to you for any help. I am in California. Thanks Again. ~ Scott

PSS

this is an AT&T phone

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

w580i Ringtones and DRM

After uninstalling the SE PC Suite software, it does the same thing as before I installed it when I use phone mode. I don't see anything in Winows Explorer, but when I unplug it, I hear the hardware disconnect sound. I'm running Vista, and the latest version of the software. I don't think I can install an earlier version.
    I didn't install anything else because the directions in my manual say to click "cancel" if it tries to say I need to install a driver when I connect the phone.
    I'll see if I can install the PC Suite on my work computer tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information