Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    GFlem
    GFlem
's Avatar

TN governor vetoes "guns-in-bars" bill again

spoken like the faggot that always starts bar fights and relies on his friends to back him up because he can't let the guy who bumped into him get away with that shit.

Joe_Cool
    Joe_Cool
's Avatar

My carrying a gun doesn't affect you adversely in any way at all, unless I assault you. In which case the offense is the assault, not the gun.

That's partly because you know if you see somebody with a gun in Detroit, he's a criminal. Because normal law abiding citizens aren't allowed. That's the balance of power shift that I was talking about.

Guns aren't violent at all. Guns are inanimate machines. PEOPLE are violent. And that's true whether they have guns or not.

And, frankly, violence is morally neutral. It can be used for good or for evil. If I employ violence to steal from you or rape your wife, then it's bad. If I employ violence to save you from an attacker, then it's inarguably good.

Here again, this is the balance of power. We need (IMO) to shift the power back in favor of those who will use violence only defensively (for good), to stop those who will use it offensively for personal gain (to commit crimes).

I'm sorry but I can't agree with you. I, not being a criminal, am no more dangerous to you whether the thing I'm holding is a gun or a kitten. And that's equally true for the vast majority of people. And as for those who ARE dangerous, they're dangerous with or without guns.

Memphis
    Memphis
's Avatar

I remember this issue was talked about a good bit on OT back when it first passed in the TN congress, heres the follow up:

Surefire
    Surefire
's Avatar

No, they make violence easier. And violence is not just an act that someone makes against another. I'm sure you would agree that an explosion is violent, and also that what makes it violent has nothing to do with intent.

This isn't the same angle as 'guns kill people', to which a knife or other inanimate object is indeed a valid counter-point. The reason a knife or whatever is not violent is that they do not rely on the afore mentioned explosion.

I don't have a problem with you carrying a gun, because I know you somewhat more than the average Joe on the street. But again, that reason you want to carry the gun is the same reason that someone who doesn't know you might be uncomfortable with you having it: the unknown. The difference between you and the other person though is just how easy, and how potentially lethal that gun makes committing violence itself.

Consider what you are asking of others: to trust you. You carrying the gun is kind of ironic in this sense, as it symbolizes your lack of trust that you won't need it around others.

V!
    V!
's Avatar

I'd be down for a Happy Hour at the gun range.

Burmonster
    Burmonster
's Avatar

What an idiot

Surefire
    Surefire
's Avatar

Same with the gun. You do not have to bring a gun into the bar. On the other hand, the people in the bar have to drink their open containers in the bar. Do we need MS Paint in here for a visual?

mikdavi84
    mikdavi84
's Avatar

cool, dude.

Ozmar
    Ozmar
's Avatar

She's a responsible mother. Why can't she drink beer while she's pregnant?

bruce dickinson
    bruce dickinson
's Avatar

I really wasn't making an argument. just throwing in my 2 cents.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information