Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Nathan H

i might bye a 1987 yz80 yamaha for a 9 year old?

what is the seat height on it will it fit him.

revitup
    A 'yz' is a motocross racing bike, bad choice for a beginners bike especially at 9 years old.

Nick G
    haha are you kidding me?!?!?! a YZ80 is motocross racing bike. made for speed and jumps. i had a 2006 yz85, the seat height was 32 inches and the thing was more uncontrollable than my crf250r!!! two strokes are probably the worst bikes to learn on unless its like a 50 or 65. buy him/her a smaller bike to learn on prefferably a four stroke without a clutch. i had my yz85 when i was 13 to when i was 15 and i took plenty of HARD crashes with it. they are very snappy little bikes!

Are you sure you're not the 9 year old?

samhaingrim87
    seat hieght is one thing...if this is his first bike its going to be hard for him to get used to the clutch. All two stroke dirtbikes have pretty hard hitting powerbands, which may discourage his interest in riding if he doesnt feel comfortable. I got an 89 yz80 when i was 12 after riding 4-wheelers for for years and it was quite a learning curve with such a snappy and unpredicatble powerband. Perhaps looking into an 4-stroke xr-100 or something of the sort, much easier to learn on, 2 stroke 80's have alot more power than they appear to have, especially with a 80 pound rider.

chainbart
    bye? where are you going?

oh? do you mean "buy" instead of bye?

yes, excellent beginner bike for a 9 year old, you can restrict the throttle so the 9 year old can't go too fast
    but 9 year old kids are smart, they can figure out how to restrict the throttle

Bryce K
    If he can stand on the foot pegs he can do it. Just make sure you instruct him how to ride and to be careful. Also get the proper riding protection. My nephew has a couple of dirt bikes, but he likes his dad's 350 quad better.
    Good luck and be careful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information