Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chessic Sense

I am your better. Do as I say.

[QUOTE=beowulff;12731767]

MsWhatsit

I was thinking more along the lines of either showing up early enough at the train station to have time to load up your fare card, or doing it on the way out so that you're ready for next time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
    villa, does the DC system charge you by how far you go so that you pay after you exit? Just curious--I'm in New York so it's the same fare no matter where you go. In that case it seems like the OP really did scam the system.
    Yes - different length rides are different amounts. You put the card in, it registers where you got on, then you put it in to exit and it deducts the amount for the ride.

There are also different fares for peak time and other times.

http://www.wmata.com/fares/metrorail.cfm

Enuma Elish

So - you knew how to sneak in, but didn't know how to sneak out?

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time! (Or if you are too stupid/scared/slow/unathletic to complete it successfully.)

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

I miss DC. I loved riding the Metro. I never had a problem with ANY Metro employee. Of course, I treated them the way I would have wanted to be treated if our roles were reversed....

Chessic Dense - well at least one part of your screen name is appropriate!

DCnDC

:dubious:Hmm. I've been taking the Metro for years and years and on the occasional instances where I've had a problem, have always, always found Metro employees to be exceptionally friendly and helpful, particularly in the train stations.

Chessic Sense

villa, does the DC system charge you by how far you go so that you pay after you exit? Just curious--I'm in New York so it's the same fare no matter where you go. In that case it seems like the OP really did scam the system.
    Yes, it charges differently depending on how far you went.

Quote Originally Posted by villa View Post
    just think, if you had got on in Shady Grove, or Vienna, or Franconia-Springfield, and then tried to pay at the end, don't you think you would have said you got on much closer?

The system needs a start point and finish point. By turnstile jumping at your origin, you denied it the start point, and so made it impossible for the system to determine what you owed. You instead assume that Metro should rely on your honesty, which they can be forgiven for doubting seeing as you broke the rules by turnstile jumping in the first place.
    Oh yeah, that's a good point...

Wait, no. It's stupid. Because I DIDN'T get on at Vienna or Shady Grove or Frac-Spring. And I didn't take it the entire track. I end up paying the same price as I would have anyway. It makes absolutely no difference, money-wise, if I swipe in at my start station or the end station.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
    If anyone wants some more stories of how the Metro has nearly fucked up the OP's day, luckily there's a website dedicated to just this purpose.
    Chalk those up as four more "wins" for our fearless intern's effort to bend the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to his whim.
    Did you not notice all the comments where they call the blogger a tool and whatnot? And I'm not a fucking intern.

One And Only Wanderers

I came in here expecting the thread to be about someone who had the attitude encapsulated in the title. Imagine my surprise when I found the OP is the one professing that opinion, and, apparently, meaning it.

You got a jobsworth, who inconvenienced you. It happens. This does not mean you are superior to him.

olivesmarch4th

Class exists, but it sure can't be bought with money.
    Preach it, sister.

Freudian Slit

Quote Originally Posted by villa View Post
    Yes - different length rides are different amounts. You put the card in, it registers where you got on, then you put it in to exit and it deducts the amount for the ride.

There are also different fares for peak time and other times.

http://www.wmata.com/fares/metrorail.cfm
    In that case, just going back out and reswiping seems quite pointless. Seems like the OP should have sucked it up and waited. Or gone to a different station and put money on there. (Not that jumping a turnstile would be OK even in a system where it's the same amount no matter where you go. I don't think I'd ever jump the turnstile, barring some extreme emergency.)

Jack Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
    So again, fuck you, your machines, Metro, and all your racist, nose picking, sleeping-on-duty, GED-sporting, power-tripping coworkers.
    Oh, this sounds like a tale that will be told ... one way or another.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information