Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Telemark

I am your better. Do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
    Again, I didn't fare jump. My method of paying for it was just...backward. Had I fare-jumped, I wouldn't have had the conversation in the first place.
    As others have already said, you did fare jump. Just suck it up and accept the consequences of your actions.

Chessic Sense

Chessic Dense, huh? I preferred Non Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
    Class exists, but it sure can't be bought with money.
    That's why I rent it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
    Did "Save it for the message board" honestly run through your mind as this event was unfolding?
    Yes. It often does. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
    He probably dared to raise his eyes from the floor and looked at a white man or something. I think that means we have to burn him and everything he touched. I might be wrong, though - they keep releasing new edicts about that.
    I love it how pointing out obvious racist incidents make one racist. Apparently overhearing "That's what I hate about white people!" makes one racist. And how many times do I have to say that Jamal and the racist employees are different people?

Whatever. You can keep making things up, knocking them down, and collecting Doper high fives if you want to. Don't let me stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by villa View Post
    That you feel a need to brag about your alleged status paints a big fat target on your back as far as I am concerned.
    I don't feel the need to brag about it. I feel the need to use it to insult the guy on an internet message board because it's undoubtedly true.

Hamadryad

I'd reply to this thread, but as I am not a high-powered Big City whatever, I am obviously not qualified.

Half Man Half Wit

Quote Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
    Hmm. Is there a name for sentences that, upon being uttered, immediately establish the truth of their negation, like 'I am your better'?
    So far, I think I'm winning.
    There's another!

Attack from the 3rd dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
    Everyone knows class exists. You just don't talk about it out loud unless you're trying to insult someone. That's why when I was getting lectured, I said to myself "Save it for the message board". I didn't say it out loud.
    Did "Save it for the message board" honestly run through your mind as this event was unfolding?
    This proves that he's a true Doper, whatever about the other stuff.

Captain Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
    Again, I didn't fare jump. My method of paying for it was just...backward. Had I fare-jumped, I wouldn't have had the conversation in the first place.
    As others have already said, you did fare jump. Just suck it up and accept the consequences of your actions.
    There weren't any consequences of his actions. He got an annoyed lecture from Metro Jamal, who then did exactly what Chessic Sense wanted him to do...let him go out, swipe his card to go in and then out again. He's just mad that Jamal lectured him for breaking the rules.

Tom Scud

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
    villa, does the DC system charge you by how far you go so that you pay after you exit? Just curious--I'm in New York so it's the same fare no matter where you go. In that case it seems like the OP really did scam the system.
    Yes. It's totally stupid.

Chessic Sense

Quote Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out where racism fits into all this.
    First of all, I know his name was Jamal because it was on his shirt. Secondly, I don't know that he was necessarily racist, but a lot of them are. I do recall an incident when one proclaimed "See? This is what I hate about White people!" I'm not really sure what that was about, as I wasn't a direct party to it. There have been other harder-to-prove incidences, and I never got around to Pitting them for it, so I figure I'll just lump them all together here.

For those that don't know, DC has a huge poor black population and a substantial Hispanic population. Northern Virginia has a substantial amount of both, but it's a lot Whiter than the District. The metro employees, however, are at least 99% Black. I'm trying to think of a White employee that I've ever seen and I can't think of one. Perhaps this is the source of the tension? I don't know.

But I know I'm not alone when I say that the Metro system is a racist community.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love it how pointing out obvious racist incidents make one racist. Apparently overhearing "That's what I hate about white people!" makes one racist. And how many times do I have to say that Jamal and the racist employees are different people?
    Maybe what they hate about white people is our straight hair, or how easy we are to pick out of a crowd at Church's Chicken? You don't know that they weren't hating on observable differences between us, do you?

Chessic Sense

Quote Originally Posted by DianaG;12732776Everybody's calling [I
    you [/I]a tool and you don't seem to think that makes it so.
    Give it time. Rand Rover will show up eventually. He'll understand why I'm better than Metro employees.

Quote Originally Posted by villa View Post
    And Metro know this how? Because you tell them? Because you are white and wouldn't lie?

So Jamal, working hard at the kiosk at your destination, let's call it Metro Center, is expected to divine somehow that you got on at Dupont Circle, not at Vienna?

It only makes no difference if you were on a short enough trip for minimum fare. And without you swiping when you get on, Metro doesn't know that.
    You think I give a shit if Metro knows it or not? If I were trying to scam anybody, I would have just jumped the gate leading out. He should believe me because I'm approaching him in the first place, offering up front to pay for my ride. Besides, what's the difference in the fare? 40 cents, maybe? It's like the rules say "Give us 6" and I'm like "Here's half a dozen" and the alarms and sirens go off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information