Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

You steal a camera during MY Workshop? Fuck you, you piece of messed-up shit !

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
    Except it really doesn't because the "impairment" is not significant enough to make accidents any more likely.
    Stoned people produce far less accidents, on average, than drunk people. That is not because the impairment of being stoned isn't significant - smoke enough pot, and it certainly is significant: it is perfectly possible for the average person to get so stoned that simple mobility shows impairment.

Rather, unlike the booze, stoned people tend not to lose the ability to judge their own performance - hence, "compensating". The person who has had a few drinks tends to think they are "just fine" to drive; the person who smoked a joint thinks "my goodness, I'm high". If they drive (and they are more likely to choose not to), they will go out of their way to be careful - even over-compensating.

It isn't that they aren't impaired. Get someone *really* high and force them to drive - and the results would not be pretty. But really high people know they are really high and mostly do not *want* to drive - as opposed to your average boozer's "scuse me ossifer. I mean oskafer. Waddya mean drunk I am?"

The net result is that stoned people cause fewer accidents than drunks - but that doesn't mean it isn't impairing. If the element of choice is removed, you'd see more problems. For example: if your job is to work with heavy machinery, it isn't a good idea to get high at work, because you may not have the choice whether to operate the machinery or not.

Diogenes the Cynic

Except not, because it doesn't impair the actual task. It never impaired me at all. I'm willing to concede that maybe lightweights should not smoke and drive, but even then, it's not as bad as driving drunk, or even as bad as drivinmg tired or while talking on a cell phone.

minor7flat5

I still want to know what was actually seen on the surveillance tapes.

MsWhatsit

Hi, I'm just checking in to say that every time I think about, "I AM the evidence," it sends me into fresh gales of giggles. This is the gift that keeps on giving.

Diogenes the Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
    Except it really doesn't because the "impairment" is not significant enough to make accidents any more likely.
    Stoned people produce far less accidents, on average, than drunk people. That is not because the impairment of being stoned isn't significant - smoke enough pot, and it certainly is significant: it is perfectly possible for the average person to get so stoned that simple mobility shows impairment.

Rather, unlike the booze, stoned people tend not to lose the ability to judge their own performance - hence, "compensating". The person who has had a few drinks tends to think they are "just fine" to drive; the person who smoked a joint thinks "my goodness, I'm high". If they drive (and they are more likely to choose not to), they will go out of their way to be careful - even over-compensating.

It isn't that they aren't impaired. Get someone *really* high and force them to drive - and the results would not be pretty. But really high people know they are really high and mostly do not *want* to drive - as opposed to your average boozer's "scuse me ossifer. I mean oskafer. Waddya mean drunk I am?"

The net result is that stoned people cause fewer accidents than drunks - but that doesn't mean it isn't impairing. If the element of choice is removed, you'd see more problems. For example: if your job is to work with heavy machinery, it isn't a good idea to get high at work, because you may not have the choice whether to operate the machinery or not.
    Stoned people cause slightly fewer accidents than people on no drugs at all. They aren't just safer than drunks, they're marginally safer than people who aren't on anything.

Chefguy

I missed the part where you have him on tape or somebody saw him take it, or he confessed.

Oops. For some reason, the last couple of paragraphs weren't there when I looked at the OP the first time. Never mind.

storyteller0910

The study I cited showed that there was no difference in likelihood of accidents between people who are stoned and people who are not stoned.
    Because I am psychic, I am going to make a fearless guess: you have not actually read the Chesher and Longo text you cited, right? Just the quotes cherry-picked from the article by a organization with an agenda?

MTCicero

No it doesn't.
    Oh, really?

Shot From Guns

Once again, this is a content-free post, devoid of any substantive rebuttal. You should at least try to mix in some actual arguments with the ad hominems once in a while.
    In this case, Dio, your amazing ability to shut out everything but what you want to hear is the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    They're being more careful. Any change in cognition is fully compensated for, ergo, no meaningful "impairment" in the actual ability to perform the task.
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that I'm talking about the results of the driving test. I'm not. I'm taking issue with your claim that marijuana does not affect one's cognitive skills. Are you now saying that marijuana does affect one's cognition?
    This is his personal strawman for the thread. He can't seem to wrap his tiny little mind around the idea that "no increased risk of driving accidents due to smoking pot (because the drivers compensate or just don't drive)" is not the equivalent of "smoking marijuana has no impact on your cognition, motor skills, or reaction time." So he keeps pointing at the same study that disproves his point (i.e., it explicitly says that pot does affect these things) as evidence that he's right, because he's just not listening to anyone else, so caught up is he in the idea that every post here is some kind of personal attack on him for smoking pot.

You know, as opposed to being an attack on him for being retarded enough to assert that pot "doesn't" "affect one's cognitive abilities and fine and gross motor skills."

Vinyl Turnip

I was never too stoned to walk to the door except very early on in my stoner career when I wasn't acclimated yet. I wouldn't have driven if I was THAT fried..
    Ah! So it is possible to be too stoned to drive safely. Good, now can we end this derailment?

And preferably the thread, only because every time I read the title I hear "Choo steal a camera during MY workchop? Fuck YOU, you piece 'o messed-up CHIT!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information