Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

I owe a California Use Tax? WTF?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
    If they're curious (which i kind of doubt) they are welcome to ask. If they're not raging, dishonest assholes i might favor them with an answer. You, on the other hand, can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.
    Well! That's certainly not very sporting of you I must say!

One can only wonder about your poor students.

Student: [raises hand] Uh, Mr. mhendo, may I ask a question?

mhendo: Fuck no! There's plenty of info out there already. You should know the answer by now. Dumbass!

Student: Oh, okay. Nevermind, I guess.

mhendo: [thinks to self] I can't believe people are so fucking stupid! :smack:

SA:

magellan01

I just received a letter telling me I'll have to pay a California Use Tax. I never heard of this. Evidently, I'll have to pay this Use Tax for any purchase I made out of state that did not charge me tax. So, if I bought a book from Amazon for $20, I owe (I think) $1.75.

I'm telling you, California is the nuttiest fucking state with all these taxes. I've been thinking of moving, and this just might push me to do it.

Does anyone know anything about this. Also, Am I going to suddenly have to pay this Use Tax on stuff I bought online five years ago? I did read that the penalty for any tax you do owe is an additional 10%. It seems like it's a way for the state to tax online purchases, even though the feds have so far chosen to allow those transactions to be tax-free (unless the seller has a store in your state).

magellan01

Quote Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
    Apparently you're a retard, so let me spell the insult out:

You paid my mother to teach you how to gobble cock and suck on balls. You failed to hire her to also teach you the basics of how to deal with sales tax on purchases from out-of-state vendors.
    No, that's not true. I know what I paid your mother to do (though I still owe her that quarter). But there's any easy way to straighten this out: ask your mother. Ask her if she was paid to suck my cock and balls, or was supposed to be paid to teach me about the use tax, but never got around to it because she was to infatuated with giving me that slurpie.

But you seem insistent that your mother taught you about both 1) the use tax and 2) how to do a good job of slobbering over cock and rubbing it on your face. I had given both you and your mother the benefit of the doubt and didn't think that you two would cross the familial-sex line. I find that hard to believe, as your mother seemed to be a nice woman, one who just love to have cock in her mouth and face. I'd be surprised if she would stoop to the depths you insinuate.

If you insist that she taught you how to slurp up the rocket, I'm going to have to call bullshit. But there's an easy way to determine that: in her supposed instructions to you and how to properly nuzzle up to and slobber over one's cock and balls, what song does she like to hum just before that cock erupts and spews over her face? If you can answer that, I will believe you about her. As much as it pains me.

Martini Enfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rumor_Watkins View Post
    Because States don't answer to other States. As has been explained before, you get a credit for the tax you paid in the other state. If you have. If you haven't, you'll owe the whole hog for your tax that you didn't have to pay by buying out of state.
    I still find it interesting- I mean, if you live in Washington State and go and visit Canada for the day, are you expected to cough up the sales taxes on the stuff you brought in Canada, duty free concession allowances notwithstanding?

I really don't see why buying stuff in another state should be any different. You didn't buy it in your home state, so you shouldn't be paying "local" taxes on it.

BrotherCadfael

This is fairly standard for any state which imposes a sales tax. You are responsible for reporting and submitting any Cali taxes due on out of state purchases. Nobody actually does it, mind you, but that is pretty much the law in any sales-taxing state.

magellan01

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
    The State of Massachusetts sued a tire retailer that had stores in NH and MA to collect MA sales tax on MA residents who crossed the border to buy tires in NH. They lost.
    Very interesting. It certainly doesn't seem right to expect the out-of-state store to pay the tax. And as far as the resident, you either have to trust them, have a border check point, or be able to go into someone's home and check the serial number on their appliance with the one on the receipt. Seems to be almost impossible to enforce.

Manduck

Quote Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
    IIRC, when I lived in New York, they basically had a "close enough" version of the use tax - each year, you could pay $30 tax on out-of-state purchases, or you could document your real liability. Naturally, most people just paid the $30, which I thought was entirely reasonable.
    Wait, isn't that the rule from Monopoly?

Shot From Guns

You realize you lose points for trying way too hard, right, magellan01?

No, wait, sorry, you probably don't.

JayRx1981

Ummm, it's not just California that does this. Ohio requires* you to pay a use tax as well on items purchased from online retailers. There's an area on your Ohio Tax return form where you are supposed to report it.

*By requires, it is codified in the tax code that you are required to do this, but it is purely self-reported so my understanding is that most people don't do so.

Doughbag

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
    I still find it interesting- I mean, if you live in Washington State and go and visit Canada for the day, are you expected to cough up the sales taxes on the stuff you brought in Canada, duty free concession allowances notwithstanding?

I really don't see why buying stuff in another state should be any different. You didn't buy it in your home state, so you shouldn't be paying "local" taxes on it.
    Coming from Canada - You are actually importing goods, so technically you are required to pay an import tax. This happens to some people when they get off the plane (here in Ireland), after a shopping trip in New York, depending on the mood (I guess) of the custom officers.
    As an EU citizen, purchasing online outside the EU, the parcel usually/sometimes gets stopped by custom. They contact me in writing and ask for an invoice for the incoming goods, which I then have to provide and I get taxed according to this invoice.
    The tax is in Ireland 21%, meaning that I have to pay 21% Tax whether I paid any tax in the purchasing country or not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information