Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Robot Arm

Woman calls police. They brutalize and arrest her.

John Robinson was at Wells' house when Murphy pulled up. Robinson told the AJC his friend of 26 years had called him to be with her until the police arrived. Robinson lives 10 miles from Wells and her husband was in McRae, almost 90 miles away.
    A woman calls the police because there is a prowler outside the house, right now, as she is making the call. And her friend from ten miles away gets to her place before the cops do?

Dewey Finn

Here's an article about the situation from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Note that per the article the officer who resigned, Ryan Smith, is now working for the Chattahoochee County Sheriff's office. So despite this incident, another law enforcement agency had no problems hiring him?

Sage Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneburg View Post
    One can only hope that people who defend abuses of power become victims of it, that is probably the most effective way to rehabilitate them.

I'm not saying that people defending these cops should have their testicles attacked to electrodes, or their anuses penetrated with a nightstick, I'm just saying it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that happened...
    I don't believe that I've seen a single post in this thread which said anything like that the cops in question are undoubtedly innocent of wrong-doing.

Say, for example, that Roger uses a salt lick to lure a cow in to be slaughtered. Billy gets up and complains that Roger is a murderer and salt licks are murderous weapons and should be banned. If, at this point, I tell Billy that he has his head up his ass so far calling a salt lick a murderous weapon goes, that's not a defense of Roger. Roger is undoubtedly guilty of killing a cow and, if that's a crime, he should be punished for it. I'm not defending Roger, I'm pointing out that Billy is saying something that is simply divorced from reality and from the issue at hand.

Why go through the effort of correcting Billy if it's not to defend Roger? Because it's a forum devoted to fighting ignorance.

billfish678

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Even if she is lying, and the cop knows she is lying, there is no justification for tasering. That's essentially using torture to get information out of her.
    Like nearly ALL the other cops did wrong threads, it boils down to this. When a COP TELLS you to do something, you DO IT. If you don't do, he is pretty much required to FORCE you to comply. To allow otherwise would defeat the very concept of a cop.

She didnt get tazed because she was lying. She got tazed because she ran and was resisting.

DO WHAT the cop says, take a ride ride downtown. Behave yourself. And if you think the whole thing was a crock of shit get hold of a lawyer, or the ACLU, the local paper, or Al Sharpton or something.

Kobal2

The goal and intent is still to get the person to submit and allow himself to be restrained. So long as the weapon is used only for that purpose, that's still better than breaking the person's arm.
    I daresay there's a middle being excluded, here
    Or did cops make it a habit of breaking suspects' arms (for pain compliance, you see) before the taser came along to solve this outstanding law-enforcement issue ?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well she won't be doing that anymore, will she?

Boyo Jim

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    Well she won't be doing that anymore, will she?
    I presume you mean calling the police for help.

Tahssa

Quote Originally Posted by MTCicero View Post
    The police have asked me to tell you, and I quote, "less teeth, more tongue and lip action".
    The goats asked me to tell you the same thing.

Sage Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
    I daresay there's a middle being excluded, here
    Or did cops make it a habit of breaking suspects' arms (for pain compliance, you see) before the taser came along to solve this outstanding law-enforcement issue ?
    I'd venture to guess that the answer is yes. Subduing a person physically is liable to end up in broken arms, missing eyes, bruises, cuts, and even gun shots. Before the taser they had the billy club, their fists, and a gun. Of those four options, which do you want the police to use on you if, for whatever reason, you have decided to fight with them? Sure, the cop might be skilled enough to win 90% of his fights without having to do major damage, but why should he endanger himself like that? Police officer has a wife and kids. He might be in a job where he's going to risk himself on a day-to-day basis, but that doesn't mean that we should make him come home bruised every day rather than tase people who were committing a crime by resisting arrest. And why add that extra 10% of people who suffer major damage rather than using a taser? Between harmless pain and broken arms, pain is better.

alice_in_wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
    I presume you mean calling the police for help.
    I believe he meant screaming in pain when being tased.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information