Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    AWB

Woman calls police. They brutalize and arrest her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    At least they were able to use the dash cam against the officers.

While listening to Talk of the Nation a week or two ago about laws making it illegal to record cops (Link) the guest mentioned an incident in Prince George's County where a journalist was mistreated by cops. There were seven police cars which all had malfunctioning dash cams.
    Sounds like what would happen in DC-area Maryland. Glad I moved.

Really Not All That Bright

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oglomott View Post
    On Tasers: Yes, they hurt. They're supposed to. What good would they be if they didn't?
    I don't believe that that's true. The purpose of a taser is to incapacitate a person, not to make them feel pain. The pain is just a side-effect of the method used.

Point in fact, I'm nigh 100% certain that incapacitating a person is the sole intended and prescribed purpose of a taser.
    Good thing law enforcement agencies don't order tasers with the drive stun function, then!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    Don't quote the police about them. They use them and are defending them. They can manufacture data as they see fit and they will.
    If you want to discuss your data find a neutral source.
    I'm not sure Amnesty International counts as a neutral source either.

Kinthalis

[QUOTE=straight man;12716776]There is definitely a bright side in all this

ivan astikov

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
    Let's recap: you threw in the strawman of high-speed chases (which, of course, had not a damn thing at all to do with this conversation). I then pointed out the glaring difference between a tasing and a high-speed pursuit. You then offered up the pointless dung-nugget above.

Now, since you're in the bottom 1% of this board when it comes to both reading comprehension and brain function, let me try and get this to sink in for you: A girl I cared very deeply for has been in the ground for 20 years now, the result of an overzealous cop pursuing someone who decided not to pull over...because of a broken turn signal. Anyone who thinks I'm always on the side of police is a fucking moron. And anyone who thinks I'm in favor of high-speed chases makes a fucking moron look like a Mensa candidate.
    I'm in the bottom 1%? You are the dimwitted twit who believes in psychic abilities and expected me to know that, by the look of it.

Sage Rat

Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    Don't quote the police about them. They use them and are defending them. They can manufacture data as they see fit and they will.
    If you want to discuss your data find a neutral source.
    So the fact that they've received less complaints of brutality and the number of law suits for police brutality have dropped off is just further lies? You know that cries of conspiracy make you immediately in the wrong?

But sure:

http://www.jcfmjournal.org/article/S...199-9/abstract
    http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journa...2104&show=html
    http://taser.com/research/Science/Do...R%20safety.pdf (last paragraph, page 18)
    http://media.charleston.net/2009/pdf...ary_070709.pdf
    http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi...act/99/12/2268
    http://www.atypon-link.com/VAT/doi/a...76.3.189.19443

And note, here, that I've simply listed every relevant item shown in Google Scholar. There was no paper saying anything other than that lives are saved and injuries are diminished when tasers are introduced into policing.

foolsguinea

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
    Naaa...the details here are very much lacking, but even with our limited info it sure looks to me like those two were Grade-A fuckwits.

My comment was regarding the other case, in which the cops took reasonable action, along with the way these threads tend to bring out the "fuck all cops" contingent
    Yeah. I agree with you.

In fact, I can mostly sympathize with Ryan Smith. He was a young cop (22), responding to assist an older cop (52), the older cop was apparently injured when he got there, & he tried to get things under control. I think he screwed up by using excessive force, but he was following the misleading presentation of the situation by his colleague. Worth a reprimand, but I don't know that his career should end.

But it's still horrifying what he did. Tim Murphy completely hosed the situation & then Smith failed to stop it, instead contributing to it. (Though arguably Smith managed to get things under control in his way, & maybe things would have gone worse if he hadn't responded. I don't have enough information on Murphy to say; he may have been confused & angry after he bumped his knee, or he may have been a confused, angry, racist pig.)

Understandable, but horrible.

Citing this link that Projammer provided in post #22 again, & thanks:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/2-officers-out-of-568967.html

MTCicero

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneburg View Post
    One can only hope that people who defend abuses of power become victims of it, that is probably the most effective way to rehabilitate them.

I'm not saying that people defending these cops should have their testicles attacked to electrodes, or their anuses penetrated with a nightstick, I'm just saying it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that happened...
    Amen to that.

MTCicero

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post

Are you suggesting that there is also an upside? :dubious:
    The people who support cops having a different set of rules for themselves think there is. I don't think cops should have a different set of rules; I think cops should get tickets when they break traffic rules when driving (not in pursuit) or when caught drunk-driving off-duty; I think cops should rat on each other all the time, as often as necessary. I don't believe in the blue code of silence, or whatever it's called. I think cops need to hold themselves to the possible highest standards, so that when questionable things happen, our first response isn't; "Dammit, the cops are out of control again!" but, "That's unusual; cops don't usually do that."[/QUOTE]

Once again, Cat Whisperer, you've crystallized my thoughts quite eloquently.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
    I gurantee you that if that video would not have made it out, the PD would be singing a different tune.
    C'mon, who are you going to believe? The police or your lying videotape?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just out of curiosity on a technical/legal point, did the officer really have any legal grounds to arrest her for not giving him the name of her guest, or was that made up BS?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information