Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hamadryad

Brad Pitt's daughter is a tomboy. And the problem is...?

If a 3-year-old girl is running around in jeans and short hair, I have one word for her parents: SMART. YOU try keeping a preschooler's beautiful dress and long, flowing locks in order for a day.

olivesmarch4th

I do find this pretty upsetting, because by spotlighting this as an issue there is an underlying implication that there's something unusual or potentially abnormal about breaking gender stereotypes.

I thought the psychologist who weighed in had a pretty balanced perspective though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In other news, the USA killed 42 civilians in Afghanistan last week which the US military tried to keep quiet. Many were around the age of Ms Pitt.

Bosstone

Quote Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
    Who gives a shit what a famous person's not-famous child does?
    Just goes to show that we're still obsessed with the concept of nobility by birthright. Brad Pitt is an Important Person, thus his offspring must be as well.

Bryan Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
    I do find this pretty upsetting, because by spotlighting this as an issue there is an underlying implication that there's something unusual or potentially abnormal about breaking gender stereotypes.
    Heh, reminds me of one likable element (one of the very few) of the somewhat cheesy film But I'm a Cheerleader, about a teenager sent to a "reparative therapy" camp to cure her lesbianism, the joke being that up until then she didn't even know she was a lesbian but had set off alarm bells with her friends and parents because she didn't embrace heterosexuality with any real enthusiasm. At the camp she encounters Jan, who loves softball, wears her hair cut very short, is tough and athletic, etc. Later in the film, Jan realizes she does indeed like cock. She likes cock a lot. She's not at the camp for being a lesbian, but simply because her butch mannerisms and disinterest in stereotypical femininity made eveyone around her assume she was a lesbian.

Wile E

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
    The tabloids are just disappointed because Shiloh doesn't fit their image of what the offspring of The Two Most Beautiful People in the World should look like. They want her to have long flowing hair and wear designer clothes like Tom Cruise's daughter because they think it sells more magazines.

I'm not really a fan of Jolie and Pitt, but good for them for letting her dress the way she wants.
    You said exactly what I was going to say.

Also, I saw this on a tabloid at the grocery store check-out a week or two ago, and I am shocked that it has been deemed important enough to make the mainstream news. And now I really hate them for making me take Angelina Jolie's side.

Cat Whisperer

"The reaction to the photos was awbsolute shawck" - my reaction to the photos was "big fucking deal." I listened to about 15 seconds - it was all I could take of that brain-cell-destroying twaddle. Toddler style choices? WTF? I'm going to shop for some land when we drive up north to build our compound on and leave all this idiocy behind.

olivesmarch4th

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
    Heh, reminds me of one likable element (one of the very few) of the somewhat cheesy film But I'm a Cheerleader...
    This is a great movie.

When I first met my SIL she was 12, a very athletic and hyperactive girly-girl who made the boys' heads spin as they followed her around like lovesick puppies. She tried dating a little later but would always end up brushing the guys off as a kind of nuisance.

At 15 the reason for her disinterest became a bit more clear. Turns out she's a lesbian. Never saw it coming, though now that's she's 19, she's pretty freakin' butch. She attended senior prom in a shirt and tie and a baseball cap. Never saw that coming either.

At first I thought she was just butching up because she thought that's what lesbians are supposed to be like. But in retrospect I don't think the ''girly'' her at 12 was any more the ''real'' her than the ''butch'' woman she is now. She's never been anything other than completely true to herself and screw what anyone else thinks. But I guess people really can embrace wildly different gender norms at different times in their lives. It was the first time I ever really saw that in action.

Fish Nya

I work at a daycare and see a lot of children everyday. Most of them do not care at all what they are wearing. Hell, half of them probably have something on backward or inside out.

But some kids do. Like the little boy who loved to wear pirate hats and costumes and his sister's sparkly headband. Or the little girl who insisted on wearing red rain boots for a month. And no matter what they look like, they are happy. The one's that aren't are the ones in clothing they don't like, or wearing bows and ribbons they hate.

When I was a child my mom dressed me in my brother's hand-me-downs. I didn't care. I would actively fight with my parents about my hair. Fuck no was I brushing it! I went out with is being messy and wanted it that way. If anyone had said anything to my mom about it she would have laughed in their face. "Bad taste" as a child is not something that should be shocking, but something parents should photograph to embarrass them later. I dearly wish I had a picture of the time I let a friend cut my hair during nap time at preschool. That wouldbe hilarious now.

Cinebar

Oh, for fucks sake! She's three-fucking-years-old!

I have to say that was some of the stupidest and most disgusting drivel I've ever heard.

Having had five boys (no girls), I can't speak from personal experience but I would think that a three-year-old doesn't really give a crap about her hair and clothes and that there is some practicality in short hair and casual clothes, especially if she's particularly active.

When my granddaughter was a little older than Shiloh (around four and five), she spent a lot of time on my farm - playing outside with her young uncles and around the animals - and I bought her "practical" stuff to wear, like rubber boots and overalls (plus she wore some hand-me-downs from her uncle who is only 3 1/2 years older than her but, at that time, not much bigger physically). Being the "princess" she was (still is), one day she told me, "Grandma, you're dressing me like a farmer. I want to be a princess." So, I bought her a couple of frilly dresses at Goodwill and she ended up climbing trees and playing swords in dresses.

Really, kids who are born to celebrities and politicians should just be left the fuck alone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information