Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    DigitalC

Not All Cops Are Trigger-Happy Rednecks

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    That is true. I am not sure exactly how much a good cop can do to stop a bad cop without risking personal damage (And if the police looses a good cop because he tried to take down a bad cop, the loss of the good cop could arguablly do more damage than the shutting down of a bad cop).
    It's sad that the "no snitches" mentality is a lot stronger among the supposed good guys than the bad guys they chase.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    This reply has fuck-all to do what I said. You'd get more praise for cops in general if you raised it in the instance of a thread in which a cop does something decent. What you're trying here is a bit like trying to get someone to say wonderful things about priests in the latest pedophillia coverup thread. It kind of grates.
    I personally am not Christian and therefore would not be likely to write a rant defending priests, who don't actually effect me. But if I were a person who was helped by a priest, and I saw a large group of people who think that all priests or at least, the great majority of them are child molestors, I'd defend priests, too. Is that wrong?

Since I know how much police officers do help us, I chose to defend them.

ivan astikov

If the majority of police officers were so altruistic, they should be willing to do the job for a minimum wage. Nobody is forcing them to take such a challenging job.

Freudian Slit

Why view them as all good or as bad? They're human beings. There are good ones and bad ones. It's like saying that we shouldn't complain about politicians because only a few are bad. I don't see what's wrong about calling attention to the corrupt ones. It doesn't mean they're all horrible.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
    Why view them as all good or as bad? They're human beings. There are good ones and bad ones. It's like saying that we shouldn't complain about politicians because only a few are bad. I don't see what's wrong about calling attention to the corrupt ones. It doesn't mean they're all horrible.
    Except that I'm not saying "don't complain about the bad cops because there are so few of them" but "don't label all cops as evil because some are regretfully bad, a problem that should be fixed".

Rumor_Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    But cops don't have unadulterated power. They are subject to the law (At least in theory, although in some places that is not the case. But the bad cops are not the problem in those places, the whole society is).
    This seems to me to be a bit naive. They're subject to the law, but only insofar as their bad acts can be proven. There's obviously a high degree of cohesion in police forces, the natural presumption to trusting policemen over lay men, and the wide, wide berth that the law gives police to act with force in "reasonable" situations all add up to them having a lot of power that is unrestrained in any meaningful sense by "the law"

Care to share your experience? I'm not saying you're lying or anything like that, I just want to hear why you think that so I can make my own judgement.
    Sure, my experience is with my own eyes. European and Canadian cops (my other experience with western-style police firsthand) on average do not appear to be as militarized in their demeanor (buzz cuts, permanent steel faced menacing glare, a generalized "fuck off" attitude about them) and exude a far more genial attitude to the citizenry they police.

FoieGrasIsEvil

Quote Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CWN View Post
    Who on this board ever said cops have the right to "assault , rob or murder anyone they please"?
    I said "in this country", not on this board. This board is pretty centrist; while America is nigh-fascist in its worship of cops and soldiers.
    If we have any "worship" for soldiers, policemen and firemen, its because they by and large are decent people doing a yeoman's job for low pay and are providing necessary services/protection/etcetera. True, there are many many crazies and morons on a power trip in all of these areas, and I wish we did a better job of screening them out and getting rid of them, but these people are appreciated for the job(s) they do because its not a job just anyone can do or would be willing to do so.

On the surface, all are noble professions all things considered. And relatively thankless, despite your assertion of worship and flag-waving.

And we aren't anywhere close to being a fascist country. That notion is just absurd.

Rumor_Watkins

edit: I would feel far more comfortable mouthing off and exerting my rights to a Canadian or European cop than your local bubba in rural 'murrika.

gonzomax

Quote Originally Posted by Todderbob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    I heard a noise in front of my house. The cops had pulled over a couple teens. They were being very abusive and nasty to them. I went to the front yard and pretended to trim my front tree. The cop yelled at me and told me to go back in my home. I asked him what he was talking about and he bitched at me for a while threatening me with arrest for not following a police order. He eventually calmed down and went away. I felt like I saved the kids a beating.
    Aww, aren't you just a super hero savior.
    Yep.

Lord Ashtar

Quote Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
    If the majority of police officers were so altruistic, they should be willing to do the job for a minimum wage. Nobody is forcing them to take such a challenging job.
    One could say the same thing about doctors, lawyers, firefighters, and pretty much anyone else who does a job they like because they like helping other people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information