Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    gonzomax

Not All Cops Are Trigger-Happy Rednecks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ashtar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
    If the majority of police officers were so altruistic, they should be willing to do the job for a minimum wage. Nobody is forcing them to take such a challenging job.
    One could say the same thing about doctors, lawyers, firefighters, and pretty much anyone else who does a job they like because they like helping other people.
    Are you suggesting that all those people go in that field because they want to help people? If only that were true.

gonzomax

Quote Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CWN View Post
    Who on this board ever said cops have the right to "assault , rob or murder anyone they please"?
    I said "in this country", not on this board. This board is pretty centrist; while America is nigh-fascist in its worship of cops and soldiers.
    If we have any "worship" for soldiers, policemen and firemen, its because they by and large are decent people doing a yeoman's job for low pay and are providing necessary services/protection/etcetera. True, there are many many crazies and morons on a power trip in all of these areas, and I wish we did a better job of screening them out and getting rid of them, but these people are appreciated for the job(s) they do because its not a job just anyone can do or would be willing to do so.

On the surface, all are noble professions all things considered. And relatively thankless, despite your assertion of worship and flag-waving.

And we aren't anywhere close to being a fascist country. That notion is just absurd.
    I think they make pretty good money. They also get strong benefits and retirement. The ones with talent get promoted and can make a lot of money. TV does a good job of making people believe cops spend their lives in shootouts. It is not as dangerous as people think. In the next community from mine a cop got killed in the line of duty. he was the first one ever. The township has been around a long time. It has a population of 66,000 and is connected to a couple of cities.

Lord Ashtar

Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    Did I say "all"?
    No, but the response would indicate the vast majority went for more altruistic reasons over money. I doubt that.
    And your response indicates that my original point sailed right over your head.

Lord Ashtar

Quote Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
    If the majority of police officers were so altruistic, they should be willing to do the job for a minimum wage. Nobody is forcing them to take such a challenging job.
    One could say the same thing about doctors, lawyers, firefighters, and pretty much anyone else who does a job they like because they like helping other people.
    Are you suggesting that all those people go in that field because they want to help people? If only that were true.
    Did I say "all"?

FoieGrasIsEvil

Who on this board ever said cops have the right to "assault , rob or murder anyone they please"?
    I said "in this country", not on this board. This board is pretty centrist; while America is nigh-fascist in its worship of cops and soldiers.
    If we have any "worship" for soldiers, policemen and firemen, its because they by and large are decent people doing a yeoman's job for low pay and are providing necessary services/protection/etcetera. True, there are many many crazies and morons on a power trip in all of these areas, and I wish we did a better job of screening them out and getting rid of them, but these people are appreciated for the job(s) they do because its not a job just anyone can do or would be willing to do so.

On the surface, all are noble professions all things considered. And relatively thankless, despite your assertion of worship and flag-waving.

And we aren't anywhere close to being a fascist country. That notion is just absurd.
    I think they make pretty good money. They also get strong benefits and retirement. The ones with talent get promoted and can make a lot of money. TV does a good job of making people believe cops spend their lives in shootouts. It is not as dangerous as people think. In the next community from mine a cop got killed in the line of duty. he was the first one ever. The township has been around a long time. It has a population of 66,000 and is connected to a couple of cities.
    The money is OK for a lower middle class living for most cops. YMMV depending on where the jurisdiction is. Some inner-cities pay cops shit while they make a good living being a security guard for a gated community. It just depends.

I don't know anyone that would call a cop's pay "pretty good money", though. Unless you're the Chief of Police or something...then you approach six-figure territory.

Its decent in most places, but like the role of soldiers, teachers. firemen, etc I think its still underpaid.

kushiel

I'm with the OP.

I'm also smack-dab in one of the demographics least likely to have contact with the police. Young white female driving a 4-door family sedan who doesn't smoke pot, have illegal weapons or do anything that would grab the attention of a police officer.

It's hard for me to have sympathy towards people who do something they know will get them in trouble (like carrying marijuana on their person) and then bitch when they get caught.

Todderbob

Yeah... cops don't make "pretty good money."

They make okay money. They make enough to eat, and to live, but the cops who I know need to work 2nd jobs to make ends meet in the areas they live, and/or their wives work full time jobs if they're married.

A lot of cops work security for events, like School football games, or Pro Hockey games (or any sports arena). And while you say "That's a benefit of being a cop," I say "it's more work that they need to do to make ends meet, beyond the normal 40." Yes, it pays more -- but being a half decent CPA makes at least as much or more than a cop, doesn't have physicals, shooting proficiencies, angry people (okay, some angry people) trying tell you that you're "just out to get 'em, cause they a minority" (what, if the other side can say all cops suck, I can say all people who are pulled by cops suck too... wait, you only like broad generalizations when they agree with you, Gonzo? Oh damn... nevermind...), etc, etc, etc.

gonzomax

Did I say "all"?
    No, but the response would indicate the vast majority went for more altruistic reasons over money. I doubt that.
    And your response indicates that my original point sailed right over your head.
    No it did not. Actually saying they do a job they like because they like helping other people makes no sense.

Kinthalis

Quote Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
    I'm with the OP.

I'm also smack-dab in one of the demographics least likely to have contact with the police. Young white female driving a 4-door family sedan who doesn't smoke pot, have illegal weapons or do anything that would grab the attention of a police officer.

It's hard for me to have sympathy towards people who do something they know will get them in trouble (like carrying marijuana on their person) and then bitch when they get caught.
    Why don't you get a fucking clue. No one here is saying we should sympathize with criminals. The whole point is that sometimes it's the COPS who act like criminals.

Those who view them as bastions of all that is good and right tend to turn a blind eye to their abuse of power.

I do believe that some on the other side of the fence do the opposite and think of them all as untrustworthy.

The truth lies in the middle as is usually the case.

mhendo

Quote Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
    Yeah, because that's what this thread is all about: people who bitch about getting caught doing something illegal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information