Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not All Cops Are Trigger-Happy Rednecks

Every time some crazed bastard on the police force uses excessive force to make an arrest, and every time a police officer uses perfectly reasonable force to make an arrest but the arrestee has a better public relations guy, we get a thread where people talk about how much police officers suck. OK, so there are a-holes on the force. There are also a-holes in politics, law, medicine, the education system, and this message board. That doesn't mean that all cops are crazed maniacs who want to tazer little puppies and kittens while laughing madly and firing AKs into the air. And when somebody is waving a gun around a bunch of cops and yelling about killing them all, he deserves to get shot.

Overall, cops do us all a great service by making our lives safer. Of course, the thousands of arrests that go perfectly smoothly and put deadly criminals behind bars are never reported, but when a cop shoots a gundealer because he looked like he pulled out a gun, we're all morrally outraged.

Why can't we all recognize the great service 99.9% of cops do us, and realize that the other cops are the exception, not the norm?

Seriously... I bet if any of the "Cops are evil incarnations of Darth Vader elder evils" were being chaced by a knife-wielding maniac, they'd suddenly love to see a cop go a little trigger-happy.

Der Trihs

Frankly, given the cop-worship that is the norm in this country it's refreshing to see that at least some people don't think the cops have the right to assault , rob or murder anyone they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    Seriously... I bet if any of the "Cops are evil incarnations of Darth Vader elder evils" were being chaced by a knife-wielding maniac, they'd suddenly love to see a cop go a little trigger-happy.
    That rather depends on if they are going to shoot me or the maniac or both.

Lord Ashtar

There's been an awful lot of stories lately about cops using tasers whenever they damn well please. I don't care that it's (usually) not deadly force. It's not acceptable, and needs to be brought to light whenever it happens.

That being said, I readily admit that many people are too happy to jump on the "all cops are bullies" bandwagon. I have several friends and family members who are cops that are good people who are just trying to serve and protect.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Babale
    Overall, cops do us all a great service by making our lives safer. Of course, the thousands of arrests that go perfectly smoothly and put deadly criminals behind bars are never reported, but when a cop shoots a gundealer because he looked like he pulled out a gun, we're all morrally outraged.

Why can't we all recognize the great service 99.9% of cops do us, and realize that the other cops are the exception, not the norm?
    Fucking well said! I was at the G8 protests in London last year (not protesting, I used to work round that area) and I saw some mad anarchist slagging off a bunch of cops outside a bank. Anyway, he was saying shit like "All cops are pigs and pigs are only good for slaughter" and other really repugnant shit. The police were just standing there taking it, which I thought was admirable. Anyway, some of my best mates are cops and so I was really offended by this so I said to him "You do realise that if someone punched your lights out 'cos of what you're saying, they're the only people round here who'd give a shit, right?" People don't appreciate cops enough, IMO.

CWN

Quote Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
    Frankly, given the cop-worship that is the norm in this country it's refreshing to see that at least some people don't think the cops have the right to assault , rob or murder anyone they please.
    You have got to be kidding me!
    Who on this board ever said cops have the right to "assault , rob or murder anyone they please"?

Der Trihs

Quote Originally Posted by CWN View Post
    Who on this board ever said cops have the right to "assault , rob or murder anyone they please"?
    I said "in this country", not on this board. This board is pretty centrist; while America is nigh-fascist in its worship of cops and soldiers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
    I said "in this country", not on this board. This board is pretty centrist; while America is nigh-fascist in its worship of cops and soldiers.
    I'd counter you "facist" comment, but I'm too busy turning my parents in to Herr Obama.

Stoneburg

It would be helpful if the OP could link to the post of the person who claimed that "All Cops Are Trigger-Happy Rednecks", because I can't find it.

Rumor_Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    There are also a-holes in politics, law, medicine, the education system, and this message board.
    Yeah, except those a-holes aren't sanctioned by the state to carry weapons and use force.

Face it, humans become really crass and base entities when they get a taste of unadulterated power and possess a desire to utilize it. Which is something that cops will have with significantly greater frequency than most everyone else in civil society.

U.S. police forces, in my opinion/experience, seem to be trained to harness that unadulterated power as a valid source of their "civil calming" mandate. It's hating the way the cop is used, not the person in the cop uniform.

ivan astikov

Yep. I hate actions, mostly. If a person does a particularly hateful action on a regular basis, I could probably start to hate the person too, but it's not a mutually inclusive scenario.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information