Quote Originally Posted by Eva Luna
Except when they lie about having actually rung the doorbell. My sister had this happen when she was getting married - she was unemployed and home all day, and her buzzer was loud enough to wake the dead. And yet on numerous occasions, she would go downstairs at the end of the day and find UPS "Delivery Attempted" slips. They actually almost sent the bridesmaid dresses back to the manufacturer because UPS said they had "attempted delivery" three times, which was a big fat lie. I ended up having to drive 20 miles to the depot to pick up the damn dresses myself.
I would have a big (temporary) sign on my door: HEY, UPS!! I AM INSIDE ALL DAY, AND I HAVE A LOUD FREAKING BUZZER, SO DO _NOT_ JUST LEAVE A SLIP SAYING YOU RANG THE BELL, RING THE BELL AND I WILL BE RIGHT DOWN. thankyousomuch.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstockbirdybird
As someone who's sent hundreds of packages out via Fedex a day (though I haven't actually worked for them), I can tell you that a lot of times Fedex has gotten complaints about delivering things early (getting it there in 2 days rather than the 3 paid for, etc.) - many times someone will choose 3 day specifically because they know the recipient won't be at the address until 3 days later (business travelers or people on vacation and such), and if it's left at the door or the recipient comes home to a call tag, they freak out.
Or, for legal purposes, you want to give your opponent the legally required notice to do something, but you don't want to give them one second more than they are entitled to, so you want the papers delivered on a specific day -- maybe as late as possible on that day -- but sure as hell not early.