Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yellow Mustang Girl

Getting Creative...What Are You Making?

Are they like hand-designed t-shirts? That's cool

Robert LoveLace

I'm making some arts on Corel Draw. :~

xlennie

I'm also making icons. :P

Lemurian

^ Thanks. There was probably a "proper" way to fix the bed but I couldn't find one. I know a fair amount about antiques and I know a lot of antique dealers, but no one had ever run into a problem quite like this one before!

Antique chairs are not easy to re-finish. It takes tons of diligence and patience. I'm impressed. :nod:

MissAndieWitter

That's a pretty cool idea, Lem! :thumbs_up:

A few weeks ago I went to Joann Fabrics and got a couple fabrics and an apron pattern... Have yet to start though. :look: I need to ask my mom where she put the sewing machine. It's probably in some obscure place. :lol:

I also plan on crocheting a tube dress soon. :nod:

TheAngel

^^ That is an awesome idea. I never would have thought of it but that really would work quite well.
    Right now my project is stripping an old antique dining table and four chairs that my mom wants to use in the kitchen and then repainting them. So far, the four chairs are stripped and sanded and all I have left to do are the legs of the table, which I'm not looking forward to because they're textured and it won't be the easiest thing in the world to get done. I'm dragging my mom to the hardware store Saturday to pick out paint so I can paint them next week and I should be finished with everything sometime next week, which is good because I've been working on them for about three weeks. I've just had some other stuff get in the way of everything.

DUHsoTK

:lol: I'm doing that too!

//ash//

Making 100 Icons That is so challenging.

As of the moment, I will be working on some arts of an OP for one of the threads here. I am excited about it

I want to start something like that too! That looks awesome. I always wanted an herb garden

Lemurian

I've been trying to fix up my guest room without spending much money. I love antiques, so when I had a chance to trade for an antique bed I was thrilled since I was, essentially, getting the bed for free. Then I got a new mattress and box spring at less than half price because the fabric coverings on them didn't match. (Who cares if the mattresses match and who looks at that stuff anyway?) I spray painted the bed, and repaired the trim with some metal glue.

But then I ran into a problem...Antique beds had to have "slats" to keep the mattress in place. There was absolutely no way to put slats in this bed frame. I'd never seen anything like it. I puzzled over it for months before it finally occurred to me that I could use a solid sheet of plywood and glue it to the sides of the bed.

Another problem: I have severe asthma and all of the kinds of glue that I should use for the project would make me ill. :P But I had another AHA! moment: heavy-duty zip ties. It gave me another excuse to go to the hardware store--in spite of being a really girly-girl, I love the hardware store and my power tools! :look: :lol:

So this morning I cleared the room, drilled some holes, attached the zips, vacuumed up the sawdust, put things back together, and in only about 30 minutes the bed was just as sturdy as it could be. :nod:

If I had bought the bed and everything that went with it, it would have cost me over $800. My total was less than $200.

Lemurian

It was quiet when I was watching my friend's antiques store the other day so I was reading Country Living magazine to pass the time, and I saw a picture of a cute runner made out of vintage hankies. I thought it would be really fun to have one.

...and then I had one of those :idea: moments...Wait! I'm in an antiques store! :lol: So I checked through the stock and sure enough: vintage hankies! Here's the result:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information